OA flare ups

Options
TheLordFlasheart
TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
edited 24. Jun 2016, 04:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, my OA fare is still going for the second day in a row. Had to take a second day off work and had a crappy night sleep, despite me taking pain meds/anti-inflamartory cream (thank my grandma who gave me that, as she has OA and its on her side of the family).

So my question is, how do you cope with athritis flare ups?

Any tips you can share to help me cope with them?

Alastair
"Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks to a lack of disease modifying meds in my early years of RA it led to OA also. I find the flares completely different and won't bore you with the details of RA flares but, as for the OA, I find it is at least honest enough to kick in only when I've been overdoing things.

This happened last week when, in the space of 3 days I looked at 8 prospective new homes, every one with at least three steep steps back and front. I came home exhausted and with one very annoyed old TKR.

So, I gave myself 2-3 easy days when I did as little as I could get away with but ensured I did my exercises to get the muscles strong again. It worked.

If you can't sleep for pain, despite the pain meds, maybe your GP could prescribe something different. As for anti-inflammatory creams such as voltarol – if you're already taking anti-inflamm tablets please check with your GP or pharmacist as to whether or not it's safe to use the cream too. If you're not taking anti-inflamms in tablet form, ask your GP for some as they'll be more effective than the cream.

You could also do much worse than to look here where there's lots of good advice.
    https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/coping-with-pain
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Options
    I think the best thing I can do is just what im doing curently - rest. Just need to work out something with work when I go back, as these flare ups can occur at any time.

I meant to put Im using a local analgesic cream, should never real type when im tired :roll: and there have been no adverse side affects.

Maybe I do need to go back to my GP to talk about the sleepless nights, they don't happen often, but when they do im left feeling worn out beforer I get to work (getting up at 5:30am dont help either).

On a more positive note, im off to Scotland for 3 days in 2 weeks time, cant think of a better way to relax/forget about the OA.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Alastair
    I find with my OA that the flares last no more than 2 days so hopefully yours will be on its way out, and also that this hot weather plays havoc with my joint, Im much better in the cooler weather..I usually end up with ice on my shoulder and knee, and heat on my back, I cant take antiinflams , but boy do I miss them..and yes rest is helpful , with having a little walk in between or I would seize up..hope you feel better soon..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Ladybrown
    Ladybrown Member Posts: 130
    Options
    Hello Alistair - agree with everyone else. Rest and see the GP if the meds aren't as good as they could be. You are better of taking a little time of work to get back on a (creaky) even keel. I have found that trying to push through an OA flare-up is a terrible idea and just makes things worse.
    Take care and have a great break
    x :deckchair:
  • TheLordFlasheart
    Options
    My OA flare up is subsiding, which is a good thing but I just never know when it will rear its ugly head again. Going to see how my knee is tomorrow and go from there.

Living in a mainly damp part of the world - High Peak in Derbyshire is not the best place to live when you got OA.

Thanks again for all your support, making me feel postive again.

Alastair
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm pleased to hear that things are easing for you, it's surprising what a rest or two will achieve. I have an auto-immune arthritis and OA, the latter caused by the joint damage done by the former; it affects my ankles, knees and hips, wrists, elbows and shoulders. I don't think the F word applies to my OA because it worsens when I've overdone things, especially if the weather is being contrary. I keep pain relief to the minimum so I can use its feedback as a measure of when to stop. I always rest with my feet elevated and knees supported with a cushion. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben