Hydroxychloroquine, any side effects?

Options
Fayleigh
Fayleigh Member Posts: 3
edited 17. Jun 2016, 08:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there,
I am new here and this is my first post, so hello everyone!

I have psoriatic arthritis and after trying a few treatments my rheumy has started me on Hydroxychloroquine alongside my leflunomide.
I have been on it around 2 weeks now and I'm wondering if there's anyone that has experienced or is experiencing side effects?
My rheumy said the only side effect to watch for was the eyes ( of which I have booked an eye test) but nothing else major.

Since starting it I'm getting extreme fatigue and exhaustion. Also dizziness & lightheaded all day.
I'm sure/hopeful that it's something that will go in time but it's near on impossible to accomplish a normal day!
Tia X

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi and welcome from the Mod team
    I'm sure you will recieve the advice you want from this site - if we can be of any technical help just ask.
    Mod Al
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Tia
    Sorry I cant help, but just want to welcome you to the forum..its a bit quiet at the min..cant say its the good weather its pouring down here.. :roll: hopefully someone will be along very soon to offer some advice..
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hi there, Fayleigh and welcome from me too.

Hydroxychloroquine is one of the milder DMARDS. I've been on it for years and years, along with methotrexate, and never had any side effects but, that doesn't mean to say they can't happen.

Fatigue, as you'll well know, is part and parcel of an inflammatory arthritis such as PsA and, presumably, the hydroxy was added because the leflunomide wasn't keeping your PsA in check all on its own. I'd say two weeks isn't really long enough for hydroxy to make any real difference so, although the fatigue could be due to it, it's more likely to be due to the uncontrolled arthritis.

Dizziness / light-headedness are listed as two of the less common side effects of hydroxy. Sometimes these can clear up as the body adjusts but, if you have any doubts at all, please ring your rheumatology helpline for advice. They are the best people to decide what's right for you.

I do hope things improve for you soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Fayleigh
    Fayleigh Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thankyou for your reply and all the welcome :)

I was having a really bad flare up prior to starting the hydroxy. They gave me a steroid injection to ease this so yes I hadn't thought of that...the fatigue could be that.

I'm calling my rheumy nurse today for a chat.
    But Thankyou for your input :) X
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I hope it goes well for you. Let's know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright