Hello

Chrissie
Chrissie Member Posts: 4
edited 22. Jun 2016, 19:03 in Say Hello Archive
Hi I'm a newbie, diagnosed 6 years ago with slight OA in the hips at 48 and just had a review to find its significantly worsened (which I guessed owing to the increase in pain and stiffness). I've found the website here really helpful and am about to start physio. Any tips on keeping the spirits up and pain management very gratefully received. I'm currently on some pain relief but wondered about AIDS like warming pads etc and whether people find them helpful. :bouncing-ball:
Thanks very much.
Chrissie

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Chrissie

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes Mod Christine
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hello Chrissie and welcome from me, too, though I'm sorry you qualified to join us :roll:

What helps tends to vary from one person to another though the things recommended for all are exercise(s) of the right kind, a sensible, Mediterranean-type diet, and a reasonable weight. You can find more info on all these if you click on the 'Managing Arthritis' tab above.

Heat or ice? Some prefer one and others the other. I think ice is better at reducing inflammation but, if it's just pain, heat can help.

There's a thread towards the top of the Living With Arthritis forum, put there by the webmanager and entitled 'Pete poses some questions for you'. The questions are all about how we cope with the bad days and I've been surprised to discover that, broadly, we're all in agreement – distraction is the best way. Concentrating on pain only makes it worse. Getting lost in something else is a big help.

I hope your physio will help. Strong muscles protect joints and so we experience less pain. I do my quads daily and it really does pay off.

Please join in anywhere you like and do let us know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Hi Chrissie,

I had hip problems which have now been treated. I invested in a Hottie which goes in the microwave and then slips into a fabric cover which you can wrap round your hips. This was the most soothing thing I found for my hips and I still use it today if my back is sore
  • Chrissie
    Chrissie Member Posts: 4
    Thanks all for your welcome and advice. I'll certainly take your advice sticky wicket and look up those previous threads. I'm also going to check out the hottie. I'm waiting for my physio appointments but will let you know how I get on. My new stronger painkillers are helping a lot - tackling the weight will also help. I've hovered around joining the forum for a while and I'm glad I have.
    Chrissie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    So are we
    :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello Chrissie sorry I'm late but have been away for a few days..I have had both my hips replaced now but before the only thing that helped was warmth...ie wheat bags that you put in the micro..hopefully the physio will help build up the thigh muscles ..and keep those hip loose..I was 63 when I had my first hip replaced and the second one is now 11ish weeks..and they are doing well..I hope you can hold this off for a few years yet..
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Hi Chrissie and welcome to the forum, glad you have come along and joined everyone here. The people are lovely and everyone shares advice, from a wide range of experiences, treatments, etc.
    I too have progressive OA and heat is my enemy, whereas it really helps others. The physios's will give good advice on strengthening muscles, to help ease things as much as possible, that along with pain relief, of which there are a mirriad of pills to choose from. Often a case of trying different ones, to see which offer the best help in dulling any pains.

Look forward to reading your posts. Take care XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).