Picking the right mattress

Options
purplejoanne
purplejoanne Member Posts: 24
edited 6. Jul 2016, 06:13 in Living with Arthritis archive
Morning

I'm really struggling to get a good nights sleep, OA both hips. I am wondering if anyone can offer me some advice about choosing a new mattress as I'm sure this is currently not helping. At the moment I have a memory foam mattress on the top half and foam on the bottom. This doesn't appear to be the right one for me. What would people recommended that seems to help them.

Thanks in advance.
X

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    This is a topic that comes up fairly regularly and, unfortunately, there's no one-size-fits-all answer. If it helps, here are past threads http://tinyurl.com/gm7kmhr . I think, on the whole, people tend to agree that the best mattress is either one such as you already have (Ours is about 3/4 sprung and 1/4 memory foam) or a sprung one that has a loose memory foam topper.

There's no advice can come close to just trying them out for yourself and, daft as you may feel (and I did :roll: ) it's best to just lie on some for a decent period of time. Any good bed shop will let you do this.

However, many people put a good new mattress on an old frame so it's destined never to work properly. The Sleep Council has an online questionnaire which enables you to tell if your bed itself needs replacing. http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/bed-mot/
    It also has info on choosing the right bed though this is more geared towards bad backs than bad hips. http://tinyurl.com/hary2ph.

One more thing – beware the term 'orthopaedic'. It's meaningless. There's no standard for calling a bed, or mattress, orthopaedic.

Good luck. It's a bit scary because so much can depend on it and it can seem like an expensive shot in the dark but do your research (as you are doing) and go to a decent firm. It's one area where trying to economise doesn't work.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello purplejoanne
    I am still on the lookout for the perfect mattress..I have a foam topper at the min its not very deep and really helps my hips..I think some of the deep memory foam can make it harder to turn over..not sure if you know but Ik*a let you try them out for 90 days but be aware you have to exchange dont think they give you a refund..now Im off to read the link SW has put on.. :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • JamesFoote
    JamesFoote Member Posts: 86
    Options
    My advice to this is simple though for some reason people seem to fight against it.!

Buy a water bed with 90% floatations free.

Best night sleep ever
    Don't go by what you think a water bed is have a look and try one
    I have had a water bed now for 21 years of more and can not wait to get back to it when we are on holiday.

James
  • Jane1234
    Jane1234 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi purplejoanne....I have a painful hip along with other painfull bits...when I needed a new bed I did the usual trying out laying for as long as possible on the beds in the shops....and at last decided on one....after the first night I couldn't move...terrible...had to sell it as shops don't take back beds...then went for a memory foam topped mattress.....again awful..so uncomfortable...had to sleep on doubled up duvet on top of bed..luckily the bed had a fault so after 3 months got a refund...then went for the softest Divan base from health beds with their softest pocket sprung mattress....fabulous...really transformed my life...that was 7 years ago...and guess what here we go again..need a new mattress...and they don't do them now!!
    So all I can say is for my hip the softest mattress possible with good support was the answer....I hope you get that comfort...when you suffer like we do bed is often our sanctuary..

Jane
  • WyleECoyote
    WyleECoyote Member Posts: 38
    Options
    If only there was an algorithm for finding the right surface to sleep on that didn't press the degenerated joints together at the most painful point.

I'm a spiney, and for me it was the floor and I've spent years going to bed, not sleeping because of pain, then frantically moving to the floor before getting relief. The problem was that floors are cold which is BAD for us. So I actually laid an extra layer of carpet and then I throw a sheepskin over that.

I've spent a fortune on Tempur adjustable beds all to absolutely no avail. Useless for me although if your condition is different then you might find them great. Everyone's skeleton is different and needs different angles of adjustment.

Recently had an XLIF so I'm hoping - one day - I migh get to sleep on a normal bed. Ha!