Blood test saga and pocket duties

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 2. Jul 2016, 04:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
You may remember last month that I posted about blood tests and that as well as needing Vit D, a test had shown my inflammatory markers were raised and so I had to go for further tests after a couple of weeks. I did this, waited, but when I hadn't heard anything saw my GP again.
I obviously wasn't at my best as before I could say anything he suggested signing me off! You won't be surprised to hear I said no.

He checked but as my tests had got lost (by the hospital ), he sent me again, as far as I can remember it was for ESR, CRP and another one. We then discussed my next orths appointment and whether I should go for a pain killing injection if offered ( yes but insist it's ultrasound guided).

I had the blood tests done but wasn't worried as I know he is very thorough.

I have had a letter today saying the results are back and I need to see a doctor. I have got one booked for next Monday as while I might be able to get one earlier with a locum I'd rather see my usual GP.

Silly I know but I am really scared, and just want to cry, and it doesn't help that I am getting really tired and starting to struggle at work as a result (and I have a lot to do before the end of term). At the moment I just want to hide away from the world. Sorry.

So, pocket duties for next Monday afternoon please and then for the Tuesday afternoon when I go to the hospital to see what they propose.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I feel for you, Slosh and I'll be in your pocket Monday and Tuesday.

Do try to pace yourself as much as you can at school, which, I know, is not easy at such a busy time of year. Can you delegate any of the work? Get some extra time off during the day?

I'm sure you're aware that anxiety can exhaust you. Are you able to see if there are any cancellations with your GP before next Monday?

Take care of yourself. ((()))

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Of course I am with you, Slosh. You have a great deal on your plate right now, both with health and work, and that never helps us to relax and view things as dispassionately as we might in calmer situations.

Can you say what you're most scared about? I usually find, in scary situations, naming 'worst case scenario' can help me face my fears and deal with them. ((( )))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you both.
    I will try to get some breaks planned in but as well as my teaching commitment I have a lot of end of year reading assessments to complete and analyse. They take about 15-20 minutes each, but I have about 25 to do and can't delegate it. I'm hoping to get most done this week, and once I've done them I can take a bit of time with the analysis, if the worst comes to the worst I will just take home the forms and do the analysis at home. We also have our appraisal reviews coming up and I would really like to fully achieve my targets this year as health has got in the way the last couple of years.
    The other issue is that we are awaiting a call from OFSTED, and I know my area of responsibility will be one they will want to focus on.
    I do have 3 of my "disability " leave days left in reserve though.

What am I scared off? Of another problem, more referrals, more uncertainty. One positive this year was that after things happening quite quickly they seemed to have settled down.
    I am tired, physically and emotionally, but want to see the term out as it will be the first time in three years that I will have done this and I suppose I have set this as a target.
    Unfortunately although there are 4 GPs at my surgery at present they only have two permanent ones and a couple of fairly long term locums. It's not an emergency to try and get an on the day appointment and it would be even harder to get one with my regular GP, plus I need to make them for when I'm not at work. I'm trying to be positive, be thankful I have a GP who listens, takes me seriously and investigates rather than just be dismissive. The timings are good in that I will have the results before I go back to Orths, and there may be a treatment that will help.

It's just one of those times when it all feels as though it's getting too much for me and I just want to curl up in my duvet, hide away and cry.

But I won't, because that's not me.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Of course you are feeling overwhelmed and unsettled, and for good reason. You have been under the cosh for some time, had your life turned upside down and inside out, EVERYTHING has changed so fast and now, maybe, there's another obstacle to be overcome. And maybe there isn't - I' ve had notes like that to find out that what perturbed the GP didn't perturb anyone else, including me. We will find out, yes?

I'll be there with you. ((((( ))))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks DD
    Just being able to share how I'm feeling on here with people /friends who understand has helped.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I think the workload alone, not to mention the responsibility involved or the looming threat of OFSTED, would be enough to get a lesser person down. The unwelcome bloods result must just be the last straw.

However, you have done amazingly well to see out the term and to get so far with 3 'disability leave' days in reserve. I do see the importance of your self-set target to get through to the end.

The GP appointment will give the same results whoever you see. Yes, it's always reassuring to get ones 'tried-and-tested' GP, especially for something potentially worrying, but you can always make another appointment to talk it over with him later. It might well just be 'summat or nowt' as we say in these parts. I hope so. I have, on several occasions, been called back to the surgery, like DD, for something quite trivial. I hope that's the case for you too and that all the work stuff goes through smoothly and quickly.

And we will always be here.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks Sticky
    Had a lovely chat with my daughter yesterday who is always very understanding and supportive, and I am going over to visit her and the children on Saturday which gives me something nice to look forward to.
    Work today so I will have other things to occupy my mind.

Feeling better emotionally which is good.
    Julian of Norwich
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Count me in Slosh. Mig
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you, at present I'm just focused on getting through to the end of Friday afternoon, one of my friends at work today asked me if I would be in tomorrow.- not a good sign.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm there, Slosh, right behind you, urging you on until Friday afternoon. We're nearly there. Well done so far!
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks Sticky,

Another full on day when all those things about pacing myself /breaks etc just get ignored and I just push on through!

Had a bad night last night and ended up using my rollator all day at school ( it usually just gets used once a week when I do duty in the dining hall) as my shoulders are really painful.
    At present I 'm not feeling confident about tomorrow, just don't know if I can manage to push myself through another day.
    Knowing me though I will probably go in.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello slosh sorry I'm late seeing this, its always scary when we get a call from our GPs.. I do feel for you,and hope its just something they need to talk over..hopefully you can fit in a break between all that work...
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    'Knowing' you as I do I have no doubt that you will, somehow, get to the end of the week and I hope the price you pay won't be too high. You are sensibly using your rollator to get from A to B (and it's a useful way to carry stuff too, I can imagine yours with a pile of folders teetering on the seat!) and you may be teaching the children around you a very useful and valuable life-lesson, namely that those who struggle with their mobility deserve respect, as does any one with any kind of disability.

I hope you make it through but don't forget to be kind to yourself: that is vital. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    Let you down Sticky I'm afraid! I had another very bad night and felt really rough when I got up so I didn't go in. I also thought that combing a lack of sleep, string meds with the "may cause drowsiness " warning and driving towork on the A406 probably wasn't a very sensible idea!

It was a shame as it's the end of our International Week at school, which is a real highlight of our school year. Each class chooses a different country, study it for the week and put together a presentation (which usually includes food), then on the Friday morning a rota is set up so they get to "visit" another country and then parents get invited in in the afternoon.

The children are quite used to me and my crutches and even give me advice on what colours to choose for future purchases. They are also great about opening doors for me without bring asked, unlike a couple of members of staff. You're right the bag is useful, yesterday it carried my reading test papers. It's quite a bulky/old fashioned looking one so I may buy myself another "L" shaped slightly slimmer one over the summer for next year.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Slosh wrote:
    Let you down Sticky I'm afraid!

Don't dare entertain that thought for one moment. You have let no-one down. You've done the eminently sensible thing and so 'lived to fight another day'. It's a pity it was such an interesting day that you had to miss but isn't that always the case?

Now comes the weekend. It'll soon be Monday and 'find out' day and, meanwhile, the grandchildren will make everything seem that little bit brighter. I confidently hope so, anyway.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    I am learning, slowly that I can't just push myself through things like I used to, but the trouble is although never a workaholic, I always worked hard and always pushed myself to do more and do it better. I still do, but don't alwzys remember that my "more and better" is different now.

Out to lunch on Sunday with my daughter and grandchildren so lots of hugs and cuddles to come, and hopefully the sun will shine tomorrow so I can enjoy my garden. Thanks for your support and encouragement Sticky and I hope all is going well with your planned move.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    Options
    You'd struggle to find any sunshine up here but, as long as it's a lazy day, you'll be in a better place to enjoy tomorrow. I applaud your work ethic but sometimes it just doesn't sit well with arthritis.

Thanks for remembering the house move. We are Sold Subject to Contract but are currently inhabiting a little oasis of semi-calm as the Scottish system doesn't recognise that.
    Steven Wright