Back spasm self help ideas

Options
Trea
Trea Member Posts: 28
edited 29. Jun 2016, 18:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Guys, I had my second back spasm this morning and I am after your self help ideas. When it started I lay down to ease the pain and learned that our couch is far too soft and no amount of pillows could rectify it. Hot towel was useful and quiet to concentrate on breathing. I sent the poor kids to school way to early. Lol. And what do you to after the spasm when it's still sore? I would love a hot bath but there is no way I can get into it or even sit in it..... off to try and sleep now but would be great to hear your tips
Andrea, exhausted from today already

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Trea
    I have back spasms, one time I had to have an injection at A&E..it worked instantly and was I relieved..but since then I have like you used heat..and also learned what brings them on, so I try and avoid ..just twisting to the left instead of turning my feet..stepping down off stools ..all sorts of things..hope it ease soon for you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Trea
    Trea Member Posts: 28
    Options
    Thanks Barbara, last time I had to take entonox to get me going again. I am trying to understand my body, hindsight is such a great thing, I can figure out what might have triggered it, it's that silly breakfast that I wanted to get ready though my back said take it easy...
    Heat seems to help and I had a good sleep and a bath and another bath....
    Thanks
    Andrea
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I try as much as possible to carry on with things just being slow and careful, rather than sit or lie down. Take pain killers. Carefully try to stretch the area. To try to prevent it, being careful about lifting and turning. I bend one knee so I'm kneeling on it to pick things up and turn my feet to face the direction rather than twist my body. Don't lift anything heavy. Hope it eases for you soon.
    Christine
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I find arnica ointment is good for muscles that have spasmed. I also use a simple muscle rub(not the ones with ibuprufen etc, but an inexpensive version of the Tiger Balm type), when my back is twitchy and I have to be doing something physical. Luckily I haven't had a serious episode for years, which is probably just as well because the only thing that could deal with the full blown stop you in your tracks can't breathe attack was Syndol - or rather the muscle relaxant it originally contained. That was withdrawn for some time and has now come back but without the magic ingredient, so don't know what I would do if I had an episode now.
    Day to day I make a point of keeping moving, and trying to avoid getting chilled after exercise, so that muscles don't get a chance to tighten and get 'set'. Warmth is helpful, but I struggle with getting it onto the relevant bits of my back - going to sleep lying on my hottie is not good!