Lavender aromatherapy oil

Options
Eagle
Eagle Member Posts: 14
edited 1. Jul 2016, 10:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am going to start shortly Humira injections. I have used aromatherapy extensively for a lot of years and when i have any injections or have my blood taken, i do not bruise after putting lavender on the place where the needle went. also when i have accidents like shutting a door on my finger bruising goes within a day, due to the lavender. my question is, that because of the many warnings with humira, does anybody know if it is safe to put on lavender oil on the injection site? also is it safe to use ECHINACEA supplement?

thanks for any info

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good questions, eagle.

I'd imagine that it's pointless to take echinacea as, if I recall correctly, it's supposed to boost the immune system which is the last thing we autoimmuners need. The whole point of humira and other DMARDS and biologics is to dampen down our overactive immune systems since they are the cause of our arthritis.

I don't know about lavender oil but I'd personally be very wary of putting anything on an injection site. If in doubt ask your local pharmacist before attempting it.

As for blood tests - I only bruise when my veins have given the phlebo a hard time of it. Usually, there's little or no bruising.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    As humira is sub-cut there is a minimal risk of bruising but if I do quite badly I use witch hazel the next day (when it shows) to cool it and reduce the swelling. I would be wary of using something as strong as lavender oil because it can upset the skin.

I recall having a long discussion with one of my rheumatology nurses about using herbal meds alongside the medical ones. Echinacea should not be taken because it boosts the immune system, as does zinc (my late Ma could never quite grasp why I shouldn't take these, her standbys) and I cannot take St John's Wort due to the methotrexate. As she said there's a perception that herbal and natural is safe to use in all circumstances but they can be just as harmful to us as the manufactured drugs: we have to be careful because we want the best effect from the meds, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    As she said there's a perception that herbal and natural is safe to use in all circumstances but they can be just as harmful to us as the manufactured drugs:
    And it's interesting that even those who are aware of the possibility of drug interactions often don't extend that thinking to 'natural' remedies.
    A while back an acquaintance(who fell into the 'unaware' category) was chuntering on about herbal remedies. I got a bit fed-up so said 'yes I agree there are some very effective natural remedies around - belladonna, hemlock, digitalin, ricin, cyanide, nicotine....' and walked away.
    An upbringing with a research chemist father made me aware fro an early age that 'natural' doesn't equal 'safe'. He was quite concerned to hear, when I was working for a dentist, that we used neat clove oil, as that was something he had used but always in a fume cupboard and with skin protection...Difference of scale but even so made me think. Decades later when essential oils became popular I used to cringe at the blase way such concentrated substances were treated.
  • Eagle
    Options
    daffy2 wrote:
    As she said there's a perception that herbal and natural is safe to use in all circumstances but they can be just as harmful to us as the manufactured drugs:
    And it's interesting that even those who are aware of the possibility of drug interactions often don't extend that thinking to 'natural' remedies.
    That is the whole point of the question, is there any known interaction, and also Dr's Pharmacist just say "do not know about natural product enough to comment regarding interaction or safety issues"etc.please remember most of our medicines like penicillin etc come from herbs and natural products originally. it should be the duty of drug and medicine manufacturers issue a reference book which can tell one of possible interactions of natural products.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'd try a different pharmacist. Most are very helpful though they will naturally err on the side of caution. The last thing I'd want to do is experiment on my health just to avoid a bruise or two.

You write "it should be the duty of drug and medicine manufacturers issue a reference book which can tell one of possible interactions of natural products." Why should it? That's not their remit and, besides, the herbal industry itself is largely unregulated as regards dosage. Surely it's the other way round – manufacturers of 'natural products' should do their homework and warn customers of the dangers of interactions with medicines or just with their diseases and medical problems such as BP or diabetes..

I'd try a different pharmacist. Most are very helpful though they will naturally err on the side of caution. The last thing I'd personally want to do is experiment on my health just to avoid a bruise or two.

Mind you, I'm with Dara O'Briain who, when told herbal medicine's been around for thousands of years, replied: “Indeed it has, and then we tested it all, and the stuff that worked became 'medicine'. And the rest of it is just a nice bowl of soup and some potpourri,”
    Steven Wright
  • Eagle
    Options
    "Surely it's the other way round – manufacturers of 'natural products' should do their homework and warn customers of the dangers of interactions with medicines or just with their diseases and medical problems such as BP or diabetes."

Yes i agree it could be that way around and all i am saying somebody should.
    It is not an experiment, it is several professionals advice many years ago, trained people, and proven by me to work.
    however humira is so unknown to so many people including my dentist.
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    it should be the duty of drug and medicine manufacturers issue a reference book which can tell one of possible interactions of natural products.
    If you turn that around, the drug companies will try to ensure that, insofar as they have the information, it will be available. Their focus though, understandably, is on convincing the necessary bodies that their product meets the relevant safety and efficacy regulations and requirements. That is likely to include some interaction matters, especially where the drug is expected to be commonly used in association with other drugs. Even within that regulatory environment the unexpected can happen - not least because humans are individuals not lab animals or computer models.The lack of standardisation and regulation in the field of alternative medicine means that the option of testing for interactions is virtually non-existent, and also would be unacceptable from a legal point of view - saying that herb A is safe to use with drug X depends on knowing that the preparation is consistent in terms of what it contains, and in what quantities, otherwise you are laying yourself open to litigation. Over time information filters through anecdotally(not acceptable for drug safety purposes) or via doctor reporting, and might make it into professional information resources or, if there might be money in it, research.
    The best approach is "if in doubt, don't", which is by and large the one adopted for drugs in pregnanacy.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Your dentist ought to be reasonably clued up about humira. Mine is re my methotrexate and always checks dosages and current meds list before asking me to open my mouth. When I needed an extraction we discussed together what my best course of action was re the meth.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    What people need to remember is that with long-term conditions such as ours the meds or alternative treatments are designed to ease matters, not cure them. An over-active immune system is the culprit for us auto-immuners and, currently, the most effective treatments involve supressing it so disease activity is reduced. We all react differently to the meds and we all react differently to 'natural' remedies: arnica is a total waste of time for me whereas witch hazel is the bees-knees.

Ultimately I am the one who is responsible for my health; I have my support crew in the shapes of my rheumatologist, my GP my husband and friends, but it's the choices I make which can aid or hinder my general health. I have what I have and it ain't going away! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I remember there was a huge outcry a few years ago when the EU tried to bring in stricter legislation about safety guidelines/testing of herbal remedies. Drugs companies have to spend thousands if not more on drugs testing so it makes sense that manufacturers of herbl remedies should do the same.

I also know that with St John's Wort you shouldn't take it if you are on the contraceptive pill.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich