NEED ADVICE PLEASE

Options
angilee
angilee Member Posts: 102
edited 3. Jul 2016, 14:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Everyone,

I have pain in my lower back right at the bottom on one side, I am also hearing crunching noises going on in there too and wonder if this could be arthritis. A physio is giving me exercises to do and they seem to be making it worse (private physio) does anyone have any experience of this and do I need to go and see my GP..I know it is is difficult for them with back pain..but don't know what else to do. I have arthritis in both hips which does not bother me too much pain wise..but I do feel the back problem is a separate issue. I know you cannot diagnose but would help if you could point me in the right direction...I am going round in circles.
Thank you
Angilee

Comments

• bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Angilee, good to meet you and sorry to hear that you are having a lot of trouble with back pain, it is a very unpleasant problem.

I would certainly go back to your GP and say that you are concerned about the pain you are having. It would be well worth having a couple of X Rays, to see if there are obvious changes, that would account for your pain. It is a difficult area to pin point problems, often needing more in depth diagnosis such as a CT or MRI scan if the medics feel it would be beneficial in making a diagnosis.

The physio would be wise not to continue any treatments until you have an idea of what is going on. Certainly if it seems to be making the problem worse.

Keep us posted as to how things go and we will be around for pocket duties as needs be. Take care, X Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I, too, would see the GP though it does sound like hip(s) to me.

Where have you felt your hip pain previously? The two usual places are the groin and the middle of the top of the affected buttock. And, yes, they can grind.

What has your physio told you? Is (s)he assuming it's the hip or elsewhere? And how has (s)he responded to the news that the exercises seem to be making things worse?

If you have confidence in the physio's responses I'd persevere but, if not, see you GP for another opinion.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    If you have hip problems that is likely to affect how you use your body for walking etc which can have an impact on the back as muscles try to adapt, or protect other areas. Yes, seeing the GP would be a good first step, if only to try and get another opinion on what's happening with the hip(looking at gait for instance). Physios can differ in their interpretation of a patient's condition and the best way forward - and what works for one person may not work for another even if the problem seems similar.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Angilee..
    daffy is right your hips will effect your back has it did with mine, I have narrowing of a couple of disc and the pain is mainly on one side right down in the lumber.
    You go and get it checked out then you dont make it worse..I hope the results give you some answers.. :)
    Love
    Barbara