OA of the shoulders???

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 4. Jul 2016, 03:59 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

Over the past month I've found my shoulders rather sore, which is a new phenomenon for me.

I've noticed that the muscles at the tops of arms, near the shoulder joints, have been aching quite a bit of late -- I'm also finding that lying on my sides are uncomfortable too, which is beginning to affect my sleep.

Last week I even noticed the typical OA "tooth ache like pain" in my left shoulder, which me now wondering whether these joints have decided to join my body's OA party!

Reaching for things is uncomfortable, but not sore, as such. And my both shoulders do click occasionally when I try to stretch them.

I could understand my right shoulder being a bit sore, after almost two weeks supporting my digital SLR camera, and/or camera bag, whilst on holidays, but for the soreness to linger so long is unusual. Things were that bad earlier in the week that I needed to take two Trammies, for some relief.

I've also found they're tender near the AC joint, if I try massaging the soft tissue for relief.

So my question is for those of you with OA of the shoulders, do my symptoms sound familiar?

Thanking you in advance
Scozzie

PS Yesterday I started the process of converting a cabin bag on wheels into my new camera bag for travelling.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It's some time since my shoulders bothered me much. Now they're largely quiet if also largely immobile :roll: but they're a nasty place to have arthritis as it can be so difficult to get any respite for the whole arm when they're playing up.

I think maybe all the activity of your holiday hasn't best pleased your shoulders. If the camera is a heavy one (pardon my ignorance :oops: ) that would do them no good at all and I seem to remember you did use walking poles in the end(?) which, I suppose, mightn't have helped.

You've certainly got the right idea re converting the bag for your camera. Maybe try some of these gentle exercises https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/diet-and-exercise/exercise-and-arthritis and just go as easy as possible on the shoulders for a while. Sorry I can't be more positive.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Yes scozzie it does sound familiar, but I have found that it can ease, unlike my hips did..I have had it in my shoulder for a few years now and it does come and go
    At night if its painful I use a pillow under it, and also antiinflamatory gel..I am on crutches some of the time so this sets its off, you should rest it but also exercise to keep it loose..ice or heat works on it..ice will help if its inflamed..hope its eases up for you
    Love
    Barbara
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Thanks Sticky and Barbara

Yes it is a fairly heavy camera, and yes I was supposed to use walking poles -- fortunately or unfortunately I can't blame using the poles, 1. Because in Plitvice National Park, which is absolutely stunning, it was a bit wet so it was going to be difficult to carry a camera and kit with an umbrella, never mind using poles, and 2. My bad knee behaved itself (most of the time).

Since last night, I've discovered that maybe the soreness could be related to the Dupuytrens, which could be frozen shoulder ... I suppose I really need to speak to my GP when I get a chance, which'll be a pain in itself getting the time off work lol.

Cheers
    Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    Frozen shoulder is an awkward thing but not necessarily connected with arthritis. My very healthy dil got one a year or two back and is now fully recovered but it takes a long time, and exercises. I think you need some expert advice, scozzie.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright