And the winner is ...

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 17. Jul 2016, 05:07 in Living with Arthritis archive
.. my left knee. What's it won you ask? The next referral for surgery that my GP will be doing for me. :(

It's always been a race between my left ankle and left knee. My left knee the last few days has been absolutely awful - pain, inflammation and swelling. Last night I had to reach for my top-up Tramadol the pain was that bad. It's still bad today. I was told in January 2014 that my left knee needed a total replacement, so the fact I've managed to nurse it along for more than 2 years is, I think, good going.

Having had one partial knee replacement I know what's coming my way. When I had my right knee partly replaced in May 2009 I had John to support me. Now following his death, I'm on my own and I have no idea how I'm going to cope. It was difficult enough before, but on my own it's something I'm well aware I'll have to get through the best I can.

Thankfully I internet shop so that takes care of grocery shopping. This is my left knee and I drive an automatic car so this is my "redundant leg" for driving so I should be okay to get to appointments post-op after a week or so. I know my friends will help with household tasks, but it'll be the little things that will drive me potty I expect.

Oh well, like most females I'll get round things - more planning on the horizon by the looks of things.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    It seems very unreasonable that both knee and ankle are failing you at a time when everything else in your life is difficult but that, as you well know, is arthritis.

I hope that something can be done to make things better though, at this stage, I'd make no pre-emptive guesses as to what. When I was referred to the foot surgeon, due to ankle pain, I got a knee revision (which sorted things out). Hopefully, knee and foot surgeons will work together to decide order of preference.

It must all seem very daunting to be 'going it alone'. You'll not be the first on here (so it can be done) but you will probably have had to triumph over more hardships than most just to get there.

One word of caution. As I recall, it's about 6 weeks before one can drive post-TKR. It certainly used to be. Best check. But remember, you can get hospital transport though it can mean writing off an entire day.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • brandy192
    brandy192 Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi,
    I am 4 weeks post op left TKR and have for the most part been on my own. I have family and friends who have helped me but I do live alone so do not have the 24/7 help which some people do. I would say that with a bit of thought most things are possible, but immediately after being discharged from hospital I found the hard bit walking with two sticks and carry things. eg making a hot drink and then carrying it to where I was sitting, got round that by getting my last visitor of the day to make me a thermos flask of tea for the evening and next mornng.
    As sticky says driving is a no no till you have seen the consultant at 6 weeks post op.
    My best advice would be accept all offers of help from family friends neighbours any one who offers. Good luck and its all worth it in the end.
    Suexx
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks ladies. It's daunting knowing this time I'm on my own with this but it's got to be done. I'll get the referral sorted out and here in Kent it'll be 18 weeks before the knee done, going on the current waiting lists so I'll have a bit of time to prepare.

I have a "tray-trolley" for moving things around with so I should be okay getting drinks/food from my kitchen to the lounge. Living in a small bungalow does have some advantages!

GraceB
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Grace

Sorry to hear the beast that is arthritis is giving you grief. It just isn't fair. I'm not sure if you know this but if you are struggling at home, you may be entitled to enablement support from social services. It's a brief bit of help while you get back on your feet.

I hope you're holding up ok otherwise.
    Sophie x
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thank you. Yes I'm aware that enablement care is technically available. However, I work within Adult Social Services and enablement here is extremely difficult - if not impossible - to actually get.

My knee is still causing me a lot of problems and I'll have to get an appointment with a GP to get the ball rolling with this. I'd hoped to delay it a bit longer but that's obviously not going to happen. Never mind, there are a lot of people a lot worse off than I am.

GraceB
  • GraceB
    Options
    Not done anything about this as yet as there's no way I can face the thought of being off sick for 6 weeks in the run-up to Christmas and I need to work out with a calendar when the "18 week referral to treatment pathway" (which applies in this area) will roughly end. I'll see the GP in the next couple of weeks as things are definitely getting worse by the day with this knee.

I'm now having to consider getting a raised toilet seat. I've got a grab rail on one wall and a drop-down rail the other side of the loo but, even with those, my knee is pinching when I'm having to use the loo. And I could fry eggs on this knee it's that hot but I can't take anti inflammatories as I'm allergic to them. I have the gel to use but it doesn't seem to make much, if any, difference.

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Please don't work out your areas '18 week referral' pathway too precisely. More and more hospitals are failing to reach their targets. If it needs doing why not just get on the list and take things as they come?

Raised loo seats? Oh definitely! They come in different depths but are a brilliant invention :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright