Blood test results and another refferal

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 5. Jul 2016, 04:24 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, apparently my inflammatory markers are all still raised (CRP and ESR) so...
More blood tests (rheumatoid level, antinuclear ab), and as I now also have some kind of auto-immune disease a referral to Rheumatology.

My GP said it might be something called polymylegia rheumatica which causes pain in the shoulders and while he could just prescribe me steroids for this, he was reluctant to do this as it could then make it harder for rheumatology to diagnose what it the problem, and also the pain in my shoulders could be caused purely by my cervical spondylosis, As he said,it's complicated. I agreed with him so I now just need to wait on another appointment.

Feeling a bit shell shocked to be honest.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm not surprised that you are feeling that way - that must be a shock. Your GP sounds to be very clued-up about these things - and very sensible too.

Whatever the outcome we will be here, OK? The uncertainty is horrid but many of us have confronted it, dealt with it and adapted / managed accordingly. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Another complication you could do without Slosh. A colleague of mine was diagnosed with PR sometime ago and was told that with appropriate treatment it would eventually go away. It took longer than she was originally told(2 years), but 4 years later it has now happened and she is off the drugs. However she was fortunate in that she did not have other conditions to muddy the waters and that she also was able to tolerate the osteoporosis drugs that she was given to counteract the potential risk from the steroids.
    I do hope that things become clearer for you.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Of course you're feeling shell-shocked. This is a new complication but at least it is being dealt with. Better the devil you know, Slosh. I hope the outcome is as good as with daffy's colleague. ((( )))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you all, on a "positive " I have got the results back before my orths appointment tomorrow and my GP sees no reason why these results should prevent me having a pain killing appointment in my neck which was discussed last time.

I'm really happy with my GP's approach, I'd rather not start a treatment which could hinder a proper diagnosis being made, and he was also not 100% sure if the polymylegia rheumatica theory as to a cause was correct as I don't have the classic symptoms of that apart from the shoulder pain.

Anyway until I know more I am not going to be paying Dr Google visit, I'll get my blood tests done Wednesday morning and hope it's not too long before I get to see rheumy.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I hope you get some answers and soon. Good luck with the neck pain killing appt when it comes around.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    I hope you don't have to wait too long to get things sorted, Slosh. It's good that you're having the neck injection and I hope it works well for you.

Meg
  • Slosh
    Options
    I'll find out for certain this afternoon when I have my orths review to see if they will give me the injection, last time they said it was a possibility if nothing had improved by the time of my next appointment as although I am again at the threshold for surgery they didn't really want to operate again unless they had to as I had, had limited benefits from the first surgery.

Need to see what they say today, life's never straightforward is it.
    Julian of Norwich