Orthopaedic review

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 8. Jul 2016, 01:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well, I saw my consultant today, he started asking me questions and I started to reply and then started crying! Probably not surprising especially as for the first time I cried at home about the appointment.
He was very understanding though when I explained about yesterday's GP appointment and just said it was all a bit much coming the day after.
Once I'd pulled myself together he looked again at all my MRI, asked questions and then said there was nothing more he could do for me surgically. I asked about injections and he said he thought that might well help but I need my GP to refer me to the pain clinic ( wish the registrar I saw 6 months ago had told me that).
So its "Goodbye orths" "Hello rheumy/pain clinic".
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    You've been through such a lot Slosh, it's not surprising at times it will overwhelm you. It sounds like your consultant was very sympathetic. I hope the pain clinic referral comes through quickly for you.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    I'm pleased that your consultant was so sympathetic, Slosh. You're obviously under a lot of stress health wise, but I also know that schools can be manic at this time of year. I hope that you don't have to wait long for your pain clinic appointment and that they are able to help you.

Take care. ((()))

Meg
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    It's hardly surprising that you shed some tears, Slosh - sometimes it can actually help : medics need to see how badly things affect us.

I hope you don't have to wait too long for your next appointment.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm known as being an up-beat and generally cheerful person (which I am ) but every now and again I let the professionals see what's always underneath the surface, the frustration, irritation and general low spirits: sometimes it's just too hard to fake it 'til I make it and they need to know.

You do have a great deal going on and I hope the pain clinic referral comes - chase it if it doesn't! I think the schools here break up around July 22nd, is it the same in your area? Your ortho has been very good but it now may be time to hand over your care to another group of medicos. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hi Slosh

I'm not surprised you had a cry. It's often better out than in and it's good not to let things build up. You've had more than your fair share of troubles and building up relationships with new medics can be a daunting prospect.

Do keep us updated on your ventures. We shall be by your side.

Sophie x
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you all , I have managed to get a GP appointment for Monday so will ask him to make the referral then, my daughter has warned me I could be waiting 6 months going by her experience.

Luckily by pushing myself so hard last week I am well on track to get things tied up by the end of term, just the last two tracking assessments to do and then two more detailed ones. My appraisal review is tomorrow so I've got my fingers crossed for that as it's been a strange year.This week is quite easy, half the children were off school today for Eid, tomorrow afternoon we have Eid parties, and Friday morning we have sports for years 3 and 4.

We finish on 20th as well DD, so as I work Weds-Friday, essentially after this week I have one more proper week as I 'm not counting the last day.

I also updated my Head, Deputy and School Business Manager as she does my attendance reviews, she sent me back a lovely message reminding me to ask if there was anything else she could help with in terms of adjustments.

Mind you I was very close to thumping the teacher who thinks it's funny to say "Come on Gilli, get a move on" everytime she sees me!
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Don't you worry about crying slosh its hits us all now and then..and will do you good to get it out..I am surprised your GP didn't refer you to a pain clinic..they do most of the referrals for injections....I hope you can get an appointment very soon ..and you ask for any cancellations to be sent your way..good luck..
    Love
    Barbara
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you
    On a positive note I had my appraisal today and I have fully met my targets (first time since all this started). Head pleased with what I have done this year and the impact it has had on pupil learning in my area of reading.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    You have done amazingly well, Slosh, but that will have taken its toll both physically and emotionally.

hope the appointment coes through sooner than you fear. I think the thing about referrals, these days, is that everyone passes the financial buck. It used to be that the patient's welfare was the main concern. Not any longer.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks, I do put pressure on my self to do my best at work and beat myself up if I don't do as well as I'd hoped. With a job description that was specifically created for me, and a job title of "Reading Interventions Manager", I really had to succeed.
    Slept better last night which always helps.
    Julian of Norwich