This flare...

Options
Brutha
Brutha Member Posts: 51
edited 21. Jul 2016, 17:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hope you are all well, or moving towards well. I haven't been on here for a while, I guess that's a good thing.

My reason for posting now is a bit complex and I would like a little advice if possible please. I currently have an a pair of ingrowing toenails, one that has gone a bit nasty. This has, according to my GP and rheumatology nurse, set off the current flare I am experiencing- the first one in 7 months (cos I have been quite lucky in that regard). Anyhow this flare, currently about a week old, can't be stopped by a steroid injection cos of the state of my toe, the antibiotics need to work first apparently. This state of affairs has left me with (amongst all the usual flare rubbish) damn sore legs, Legs that feel incredibly tired after just a few minutes use. Anyone got any advice for this? Rest doesn't work. Is it usual to have just legs that are knackered? Cos my brain and arms are ok.

Secondly... I am about a month into adding leflunomide (sp?) to my sulphasalazine and methotrexate. Could the change of medicine be causing my toes and/or legs to go the way they have? Or is it just (another) one of those weird unexplainable things I have to get used to?

Thanks for reading,
Mark

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello again, Mark. I'm glad you've had a more reasonable time of things until now but sorry to learn of your current troubles.

I really don't think the leflunomide has anything to do with this . Check out NHS Choices for causes http://tinyurl.com/gspqy7c . As for the tired legs, I'd suspect the usual culprit ie because of pain from the toes you are walking awkwardly, or at least differently, and using 'the wrong' muscles. But, as you have an infection in your toes, that too could impact on the area above them.

I hope the antibios help quickly. Will you be seeing the rheumatology nurse or GP again? You could always ask them about the legs. We do get used to blaming the arthritis or the meds for everything but sometimes other rubbish just happens. Good luck with it all.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Thanks for asking after us, that is kind: if it wasn't for the arthritis I'd be in fine fettle! :wink: I've forgotten what not having tired legs feels like, it must be pleasant. I concur with Sticky in that you could be walking more awkwardly than usual (but not aware of it) because we all compensate for things being out of kilter, it's a natural instinct to try to reduce any pain we may be feeling. Have you read through the side-effects leaflet that comes with the lef? I don't think it could be to blame but one never knows. When I took it it preferred to give me blinding headaches rather than tackle anything arthritis-wise.

If I am put onto anti-bios for any reason I always stop my meth and humira on the instructions of my hospital: have you been advised to stop your meds until your toe is healed? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Brutha
    Options
    I haven't been told anything about stopping the meds for the antibiotics. It would make sense but I didn't think that far. It's not getting better in a hurry that's for sure. I am not used to tired legs on their own. Usually I am ok ish as long as I am within my limits. Bit of pain and discomfort and easily tired but I can do what I have to.

Normally when my legs are tired it's because all of me is knackered cos I did too much. I guess I would have been walking a bit odd for a while cos the foot was a state and I just let it go, and got on with it. Honestly it didn't feel any worse then a usual bad day for the foot it was the flare that sent me to the GP after the nurse said she couldn't do the injection while I had an infection.

The GP said to phone him about the steroid injection when the toe has cleared up and he would fit me in that day, but in my experience the nurse gets a bit grumpy when she isn't involved, so I will get in touch with her instead. although I am hoping that come Monday I will be all good to go again without an injection. Who knows though.

Many thanks for your replies, again.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello mark
    Sorry I can't off nay advice on the meds..has for the toenails being ingrown the best way forward is to have then removed, infection can soon return...my friend has just had hers done in day surgery and is pleased to see the back of them..and I am considering it...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Brutha
    Options
    Thanks for your advice, unfortunately it's all a bit rubbish. As usual.

Antibiotics didn't/won't work. Need toenail removed. Still infected. Still causing arthritis to be aggravated. Still can't have steroid injection cause of infection.

Marvellous. Could be a long summer. May as well ditch the methotrexate and leflunomide and get back on the beer at least then I will have an evening or two a week where the pain won't be getting me down.

Grrrr.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I hope you didn't mean that the responses you have received are rubbish - we are all struggling in one way or another, you're not alone in that but probably feel you are.

My hospital is a teaching one which maybe makes a difference? I have lost track of the number of appointments I've had (in a variety of departments) where one or more 'learner doctors' have sat in, always with my blessing. Rheumatology have always told me to stop my immuno-suppressants when taking anti-bios and post-surgery but I know from reading on here that many people are not given the same advice: as usual we're left dealing with the outcome of professional personal opinions. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Brutha
    Options
    Definitely didn't mean the responses were rubbish. Everyone has always been nice and helpful here.

What I meant was the arthritis is a bit rubbish, ans it usually is when I post here. Not thinking clearly. Sorry if I caused any offence.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    When we're in pain we can't concentrate and things come out wrong. I admit I had to read your post twice but I then realised it was the way that your body was misbehaving that was 'rubbish' not our responses.
    I do hope things will improve for you soon.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright