discogram anyone?

nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 18. Jul 2016, 05:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have got a date to go in for a discogram, to determine whether I have an artificial disc replacement or spinal fusion at L4/5.
I have degenerative disc disease and this disc is completely worn out. I have lost disc height and this may be an issue for the disc replacement apparently.
I was wondering if anyone has had aa discogram, and if so what should I expect?
I am not lookin forward to it, as any previous needles into my soine have been to prevet pain, not induce it!
Thanks

NB

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I've never even heard of it but I do hope it goes well and not too painfully.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    Hi
    Thanks Sharon that was a great help to read.
    I have had a car accident unfortunately today and someone ran into the back of my car. This has really hurt my back.
    NB
  • stickywicket
    I'm so sorry to hear of your car accident, NB. How are you today?
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Sticky
    I am feeling sore and stiff, now in my ribs and neck/shoulder on top of my already painful lower back. My GP has upped my Tramadol, and I am keeping heat on it.
    Thank you for asking x
    NB
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    That's the last thing you need when your back is already giving problems. I hope the pain eases and that it hasn't caused more problems for you.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Hello NB..so sorry to hear about the car accident there are so many bad drivers out there now..we have had quite a few close shaves..hope the pain ease very soon you dont need that on top of the other.... I have heard of something similar in America..sorry I will have to get back with the name..and has you know I have the same prob with my back..you ask all the questions you can it will help to make up your mind..x
    And thankyou Sharon for the link its very interesting..
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Hi Daffy and Barbara,
    Thank you both for your messages. I am still suffering after the crash. It is disappointing as my sciatica had eased after the injection by my ortho, but it is back with a vengeance. I have been keeping heat on my lower back but noticed that the skin is all mottled there when I got out of the shower, so I think I have had it too hot! So no heat today.
    I am finding things difficult to find a comfortable position, sitting sets the sciatica off, lying down is bad, I can stand for short periods but not for long. I am starting to feel low well tbh I was starting to before the accident, and this has just made it worse. Work has a big part to play in this and although I know that my health comes first, I find it hard to let people down and make their lives harder.
    I hope everyone is feeling as good as can be xx
    NB
  • stickywicket
    I don't know if this will help at all but on the 'just in case' basis....

I recently had to see a physio due to bad nerve pain in one buttock, lower leg and ankle caused by my surgical shoes not being properly adapted to deal with an increasing leg length discrepancy. The exercises (and sorting the shoes) have resolved the problem but, while I had it, I was OK walking and OK sitting on a hard chair (dining or computer) but awful after sitting in an armchair and I really struggled to just turn over in bed.

I know your nerve problems are far more severe and long-lasting than mine but I didn't want to leave any stone unturned. How are things now after the car accident?
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    HI Sticky,
    Thanks for your message. I am die to see my physio tomorrow and will tell him about the accident and see if he has any tips etc.
    I am still sore all down my spine. I have been in the car (as a passenger) today as my cousin had invited us for lunch. Sitting in the car was awful and I am trying to find a comfy position now at home. I think I will have an early night .
    Mr NB thinks I should let my neurosurgeon know about the injury before I go for the discogram next week. I am worried that he will cancel it until things settle down. I probably should let him know though.
    I hope you have enjoyed the sunshine today 8)
    NB
  • stickywicket
    Please do follow Mr NB's advice. (Just for once :wink: ) If your surgeon wants to wait because of the accident it will be for a good reason and one which, ultimately, will be to your advantage.

Thanks, I did enjoy half an hour with a book and a cuppa in yesterday's sunshine (well, shade as I'm on methotrexate) but I'm not looking forward to the coming heatwave.
    Steven Wright