Trapeziectomy on 20 May 2016

Options
Amjat
Amjat Member Posts: 2
edited 14. Sep 2016, 06:54 in Say Hello Archive
Hello there.
Had a trapeziectomy on right hand on 20 May. I write with left hand and use a knife and sew (not often) but use right hand for almost everything else.
Surgery was ok, had nerve block, which was very weird, and bruising and swelling as expected. I was surprised that the bigger cast was taken off after only 13 days and replaced by a smaller, removable type.
Saw surgeon again two weeks ago and was advised to drop the cast all together and start using my right hand, albeit carefully. Have not,yet seen physio - that will be next Tuesday.
My right hand is still rather swollen around the site and thumb still stiff. I fear I may have overdone things and hope I haven't affected long term improvement.
I have still very poor grip and need to ask for help opening jars etc, opening packets and so on.
Will be interested to see what physio says...

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Amjat

Welcome to Arthritis Care Forums. As mods we are here to help with any problems you may have on the message boards.

There are lots of lovely people here with a wide range of experiences with arthritis and the problems of living with the condition. Just join in wherever you like you will be made very welcome.

I look forward to seeing you posting on the boards.

All best wishes
    Mod Christine
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Hi Amjat and welcome to the forum. So pleased to hear that your trapeziectomy went well and you're progressing. Mine is due next Friday - 22nd July - and I'm hoping to have a nerve block, too. I've got arthritis in both thumb joints and will be having the left one operated on. From what I've read, it seems that different surgeons all have their own ways, for example, some put on plaster casts, some don't.

My grip is poor and I usually have to ask others to open jars, bottles etc., but I've put some of that down to the arthritic thumbs. Hopefully, your grip will improve over time, after all it's only been four weeks since your operation.

Good luck with the physio, I'm sure the exercises will help with the stiffness.

Take care.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Hello Amjat and welcome from me, too.

I've not had a trapeziectomy though I've had other surgeries and two things I've realised are (i)things take much longer to heal below the surface than they do on top and (ii)we all heal at our own rate(s).

The physio will advise you best but, in the meantime, just do as you've been told, don't push things too much. Your grip is bound to be weak as you've been unable to use muscles. Their strength has to be built up again with exercises which you'll be given.

We have several threads on trapeziectomies which you can find if you put the term in the Arthritis Care search engine above (Very small font. Next to FAQs.)

Please let's know how you get on.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • carolina1954
    carolina1954 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Had mine done 29th June, right hand. Cast off after two weeks,now in removable splint. Have good hours and bad hours, painwise, but am driving!. Not sure if that is actually a good thing as far as other road users are concerned, but ins. co said ok, if doctor said ok. Not seen doctor, but physio who said ok to drive with splint.
    I am concerned overdoing it...
  • carolina1954
    carolina1954 Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Now 7th September, still off work. Driving OK, but normal day to day stuff is hard. Things like opening tins or bottles and I keep knocking my hand, and that hurts.
    Seeing surgeon and physio in 12 days.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options
    Carolina, if you look on the Living With Arthritis forum both Megrose and Scampdog have recently had trapeziectomies and are posting regularly. They are a little behind you in time but you might all be of value to each other nonetheless.

On a practical note, there are devices on the market for opening tins, bottles and jars without strain. Just have a google :)
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Amjat and carolina just want to welcome you both to the forum,. I am down for a trapeziectomy when the pain gets unbearable..but hopefully its fuses itself...I really do wish you both well and like SW says there are 2 people recently had this done..so you read there thread it might help..
    Love
    Barbara