Etanercept

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 20. Jul 2016, 12:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
After just getting over a really bad flare and advice and support from you all thought I would update you. Had my rheum consultant appointment this afternoon. He was very thorough and said my ra is very active. He suggests I go on etanercept. Had to have chest feet hands X-rays. I also have to go for a T spot blood test ! Going on Thursday. He has reduced mtx from 20 to 15 and reintroduced hydroxy but 1 a day not 2. I am to see him in 5 weeks when he will see if my ra is very active and then decide on etanercept. Any advice would really help put me at ease. Thanks.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Etanercept (aka Enbrel) is one of the anti-TNF meds, so it sounds as though he is upping the strength of your treatment as your RA is not well-controlled by the meth and hydroxy combo, hence the further tests (they are needed to establish whether you are a good candidate for it). It's another immuno-suppressant so keep up with the good hand hygiene, anti-bac wipes, hand gel etc. I took it for a while, it didn't do anything for me but others on here have found it very helpful indeed in terms of reducing disease activity and pain levels. I hope you join their group and not mine. Good luck, please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you DD and Sharon for your advice. I am nervous about another drug but I will have to try and be guided by consultant and assurance from this forum. i will let you know what happens when I see consultant on 25 August and all tests are done. X-rays all complete and t spot blood test tomorrow. As I am going to visit family abroad soon I did not want to start any new drugs before I go, hence 25 August appointment. Thanks again for your support and your time.