Dismissal from Work ...

Sonia50
Sonia50 Member Posts: 33
I am quite upset today. I had a call from my employer earlier who, whilst being lovely, basically ended my employment! ...
Since the beginning of this year, I have had increasing problems with my osteoarthritis and admit I have been off work more than I would have liked. 3 weeks ago I was signed off with very high blood pressure and moderate pain in my lower spine. I had been thinking about reducing my hours so approached my employer about it. I am signed off until 24/7 whilst various tests and scans are done and had hoped to return with some adjustments etc. Then today, my employer rang and we had a lengthy conversation which concluded in the realisation that the job was too physical for me to continue. He asked me to forgive him but stated he would have to look for a replacement. I wasn't given any notice - that was it. I am not sure if this is right or fair. I have a contract which states that a months notice is needed on termination from either side. Can you be dismissed whilst signed off. Just wondered what your thoughts are - grateful for any advice.
Sonia

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I'm sorry to hear your employer has dismissed you. I'm sure that was not what you had in mind when you posted on 'Say Hello' a couple of days ago.

It is an unfortunate fact of arthritis that we can, through no fault of our own, be unreliable employees and, especially in small businesses, employers depend on reliability.

I have no idea what your rights are but I suggest you check here http://tinyurl.com/lbphnm3 . Government sites are usually helpful. Having read it you might find it worth contacting CAB.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    What a shock! Are you in a union? If so they should be your first contact.
    In view of reducing hours. Did you put in your application so that it met the requirements of the flexible working regulations? I had to do this last year as I could no longer manage my job full-time. I then had support from my union throughout the process which at one point (not in front of me as I didn't want to play the disability card), involved him pointing out to my head that if it wasn't agreed and went to a tribunal I would probably win.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich