Keep moving - or else!

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
edited 4. Aug 2016, 11:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
You probably heard of the recent study of over 1,000,000 people published in The Lancet, which found that an hour's 'brisk' daily activity offsets a sedentary day. But it also fond that:

“Watching TV was found to be worse than sitting at a desk, probably because of associated habits like snacking.” http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36895789

Blimey :o I never watch TV until the evening but I do, then, tend to slump (albeit without snacking except on fruit) and stay until bedtime.

Well, I've vacced and done my quads today but I think I'd better get on my exercise horse now and do the rest. No peace for the arthritic :roll:
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I remember being told to 'Move it or lose it'. I've lost it but still keep moving as much as I can. It's time for me to Bosch around the house (well at least the ground floor) so that will be some useful upper as well as lower body work, there's some laundry to stuff into the machine (so useful bending and some stretching which will be repeated when unloading) and washing up (good for the hands and fingers). All of that will be followed by a quiet sense of satisfaction which will evaporate as soon as he comes in and makes more work.

I will be going for a walk later to do some noseying around the neighbourhood, one of my favourite activities. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • TheLordFlasheart
    TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Been an office worker, it can be hard to keep moving all the time as your tied to the desk with work/taking calls/replying to e-mails (they never end!) etc.

I try to move as much as I can by walking to the printer, getting the brews in, but some says I forget.

To try and counter this im now walking to and from the train station to my work, which is around 20mins each way.
    "Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Aren't we women lucky that our men keep us so healthily active :lol:

I tried the BBC's test today to see if I had the makings of an Olympic athlete (Stop sniggering at the back 8) ) It turns out I am a 'solid athlete'
    I "have most of the mental strengths needed to be a good athlete, but you may struggle to challenge Usain Bolt and Co to get on the medals podium." :( It's the story of my life :lol:

Have a laugh. Test yourselves.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36859463
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Yes, use it or lose it! I don't watch daytime TV as a rule, though could be tempted during Wimbledon & the Olympics.

I exercised in the supermarket this morning - up & down to shelves, up & down the aisles, then at the hospital this afternoon - long corridors! Hopefully, the trek down the garden to hang out the washing will have helped to lubricate the joints a bit more.

Noting Sticky's title of a " solid athlete," I may try something a bit more adventurous tomorrow - where can I enter for the steeplechase?!!
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    As a tutor/trainer/facilitator in all the self management courses
    I have delivered over the years I have always told the participants
    to translate exercise as meaning moving around more.
    There is no need to run jog swim or go to the gym. Simply by making a determined effort you can easily and correctly consider
    your daily tasks and schedules as exercise.
    By pacing yourself and not not over exerting you can garden, wash-up, iron, do general housework, walk up and down stairs, around your house, around your garden, to the corner shop and many other simple tasks.
    If you do this conscientously I can almost guarantee that you will soon find yourself walking the extra few yards or the other extra task
    and you will feel better for this.
    My personal experience:-
    A few years ago I was in hospital for three months and when I
    left my best achievement was to stand by the bedside for about 20
    seconds. I was discharged with a zimmer frame and a wheeler. From day one I was determined to move and altho I needed assistance to stand I was soon able to take a few steps and within
    two weeks I was able to make the downstairs loo unaided which pleased my wife very much.
    I have continued to practise what I preached and am satisfied that this approach has definitely helped me to live a healthy life style.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    With working part time as a housekeeper, I get quite a bit of exercise plus I can still manage most of my gardening. My physio said I should only sit for half an hour in the evening and spend the rest of the time pottering about but there's only so much to do. And I'm studying at the moment and can't do that without sitting down.

I took the BBC test and got this "Not too bad! It seems that you don't have the mentality of an Olympian, but you would be a great asset to any local sports team. Step it up if you want to get to the next level." I'm sure I would be an asset to a sports team ...... as long as they didn't mind losing every week. :lol:
    Christine
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    I am also a solid athlete :splash: In mind if not in body at the moment! :too-hot:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Morning all, I have found an article in this months Inspire magazine which I thought you might find interesting http://portfolio.cpl.co.uk/inspire/2016-autumn/real-life/
    I like the idea of exercising your chuckle muscles
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    Options
    moderator wrote:
    I like the idea of exercising your chuckle muscles

Oh the chuckle muscles are the most important ones of all. In fact, I'd go as far as to say exercise the chuckle muscles and the others will, if not exactly take care of themselves, at least prove far far easier to get going.

I can heartily recommend the value of the 'chuckle friend'. Ring 'em up, have a laugh, start the day the chuckle way. Or, sometimes, the belly laugh way. Or, best of all, the breathless, squeaky “Oh do stop it, Aggers” way. (http://tinyurl.com/zf7xolu ) I still, invariably, end up with tears rolling down my cheeks when I listen to this. Infectious laughter. It's the best.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Definitely move it or lose it. Have lost lots but determined to keep moving even though, somehow! ;)

Since being diagnosed with Osteoporosis walking has become a daily exercise with a pedometer to keep me on the straight and narrow. Hooping is a cheating way to gain steps but I am still moving. I used to ride my bike which is non weight bearing but with my "new" joints I have given that up for the time being and also before this latest TKR it was painful to cycle as I tried it on Boxing Day just to see if I still could! I do use the exercise bike for the funny time of 11.5 minutes daily and watch something on i-player as I do find it rather boring.

I hardly sit down in the day and have read standing is better than sitting so that is good for me.

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.