not coping with back pain

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 3. Aug 2016, 10:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I had the discogram last Wednesday, and it was quite sore just afterwards. The next couple of days the pain improved slightly to my usual pain. And then on SAturday night/Sunday morning I woke to go to the bathroom at 4am, and I could not move. My back is in major spasm and pain. I had to crawl up the furniture to get kind of upright . I struggle to move my legs to walk.
I have been taking my usual pain relief, and spoke to the OOH GP yesterday who advised increasing my Amitriptyline and Gabapentin. This hasn`t helped really, so I rang the hospital where I had the discogram and my consultant is worried about a possible infection in my spine. I have to look out for a temperature and if no improvement by Wednesday , go in for bloods. My GP has prescribed Diazepam and did offer Oromorph , but I don`t want that. The OOH GP had wanted to send an ambulance yesterday but I declined as I couldn`t have gone out of my house.
So I am off work again. I am worried about my future there but couldn`t possibly do anything about it.
I just need a break now from the pain, as many of you will understand.
Sat here with a hot water bottle and lots of strategically placed pillows!
NB

Comments

  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sharon
    Thank you for your reply. Good to talk to someone.
    Still not getting any relief unfortunately
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh know NB..I was thinking about you and wondering how it had gone..to be honest I was scared to ask...I certainly don't like the sound of this, and if at all possible I would get to hospital and get it checked out.....I wonder if its severe bruising. :?: ...I really do hope it all calms down and you can get some much needed relief..(())xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,731
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    NB I'm sorry it has got so bad. I do hope there's no infection there. I think you can only sit this one out and try not to worry about work or anyone else. Your own health must come first right now. ((( )))
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HI
    Thanks Sticky and Barbara- I hope you are both doing ok xx
    Barbara-I will go back to the hospital if no better tomorrow , as they advised yesterday.
    I have spoken to my GP again today- as the Diazepam they prescribed yesterday hasn`t helped. I have been advised to up my Tramadol, and ring back this afternoon if no improvement and they will add some Oromorph.
    Mr NB is worried a he has heard me crying out in the night. I wish I hadn`t had the Discogram done now, even though it was only supposed to be a diagnostic test for my proposed spinal surgery. My pain was bad before, but nowhere near this scale.
    My cousin is coming later to bring me some lunch, although I have no appetite really. The company will be nice.
    Thanks again for your replies
    NB xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,731
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    As you say, the company will be nice and will help to take your mind off the pain at least a little. No, you won't have much appetite. The pain and the pain relief will see to that.

    It must seem a horrible mess right now, NB, not helped by feeling that it might all be due to a procedure you could have done without. But the discogram might not have been the cause and, in any case, we have to start from where we're at. I do hope the hospital will be able to help tomorrow.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Sticky
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have spoken with the hospital today and my neurosurgeon has asked for me to have an urgent MRI and blood tests. Then he wants to see me on Wednesday and he will nip out of theatre to see me.
    So I am waiting to hear when I can go for the urgent MRI. Not sure how I will manage to get in a car, my Mum or Mr NB will take me. Our car is higher than my Mum`s so may be easier.
    I have been told to keep on with my pain killers although I am not sure if they are doing anything really.
    Fingers crossed for a cancellation!
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,731
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    A cancellation would be good, wouldn't it? Anyway, it does sound as if it will be asap.

    I think you're right to keep up with the pain meds. Quite a few people say they're doing nothing, come off them and find out just how much they really were doing. It's only a temporary measure.

    Good luck with getting into the car. Can you try them out first?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright