Removal boxes

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
edited 7. Aug 2016, 04:51 in Community Chit-chat archive
We're reaching that stage. It's 38 years since we moved and we're bewildered by the array of both boxes and prices.

I know we can use the removal people's own boxes but have been told that they both charge you a lot for them and then want them back.

A friend who moved recently recommended a local firm. They seem good boxes but quite pricey compared with some on the net but it's hard to know what to look for.

Presumably books, crockery, pictures and other breakables require strong boxes but how big? And how many? There are only the two of us and we've already despatched half our lives to charity shops or the tip but.....

Help, please.
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I found that banana boxes from the supermarket were useful. They do have a gap in the bottom,(but often the thin card that comes with the fruit is still inside and will close the slit) but they are very strong, stack well and have hand holes at the end. Best to try and get ones with lids if possible but usable without.
    Might be worth looking at Freecycle/gumtree as removal boxes are things which do the rounds, like baby clothes and equipment.
    Look and ask around when you're out shopping - even where boxes are flattened for commercial collection you might be able to pick some up which are easier to transport flat and can be re-assembled at home with the aid of decent parcel tape(which is useful to have anyway when moving)
    If you want bigger boxes for bulky/heavy items it may be worth biting the bullet and paying the removal firm - then it's their problem if they fail, especially if they pack as well....
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thanks, daffy. All good advice as I would expect. The banana boxes sound ,like a good bet and I shall check the sites mentioned. This is all virgin territory for us :D
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,415
    Options
    We ended up with a removal firm who were rubbish and failed to deliver our boxes. On the Friday we had been given the moving day of the following Tuesday.

So we bought ours from argos.

We bought brown packaging tape too and they also sell bubble wrap.

We bought a total of 38(ish) boxes, but like yourselves had done numerous charity and tip runs already.

The advantage of that shop is it was open on a Sunday.

Best of luck and if you lived nearer you could have had my boxes they are still in great nick ;)

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thanks for the offer :D Just a bit too far.

Crikey! You sound to have had a bad experience with your removal firm. I think we might use the one a friend had when they moved from here to Edinburgh a couple of years ago.

There are only two of us now so I'm hoping we won't need so many boxes.

Famous last words :lol:
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,415
    Options
    We did, but we survived it and it was worth it.

I will definitely be thinking of you.....

I would recommend Argos though - you can buy a few and then a few more...as needed.

Removal firms often have boxes for clothes tall ones with like a rail inside so you don't have to crease your clothes. I only got a few of those on the actual day.... :roll:

Best of luck I really don't envy you and am glad you have a recommendation. We did too, but they were fully booked sadly with the extremely short notice ::)
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458
    Options
    Boxes only need to be as big as you can lift, they'll need to be stacked as you fill them.

Best thing you'ĺl ever do is buy a tape gun and spare rolls, cheap ones from Staples are ok.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    If I were to pack boxes only as big as I could lift most of our stuff would have to go unboxed :lol: But I take your point, Airwave.

I like the idea of a proper tape gun . Our current parcel tape dispenser is a curmudgeonly old thing which should have been laid to rest a long time ago.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Just a point if you get big boxes they are much heaver to carry and move around..hope it all goes to plan...
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I needed boxes to store away outgrown clothing so we paid about £4 for each box from a place called safestore.

Sorry Toni I won't buy or accept ANYTHING from Argos however much of a bargain.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    When we moved in 2010 we used a local, independent family run firm that we'd used before. They supplied boxes to us free of charge which we had to return within three months - very reasonable we felt.

The removal guys took everything out of the wardrobes that were on hangers, put them on rails, put covers over the rail thing and took them out to the van. The other end it was reversed. I have to admit we cheated with chests of drawers. We left the drawers full, taped them closed to stop stuff flying everywhere. Made life a lot easier. Other end we just took the tape off.

One small cupboard went into a box as it was. We just slit the ends of the box open, and pulled the box over the cupboard - voila!

I agree re the tape gun. I think we got ours from Wilkis**ns. Made a flaming good job of it too. So much easier.

I took the computer, printer, cleaning stuff (and boy did we need it - but that's another story!), and cat stuff in my car. My late partner John took yet more cleaning stuff in his car plus precious bits we weren't prepared to risk in the removal van.

We'd also cheated and used a local storage company to put stuff in from the sheds, and garage. However, as we were only moving one side of town to the other so won't be an option for you Sticky.

Good luck with the boxes situation - hope you get it sorted easily. I have to say though that if I had to move now or in the future, I'd have to have people in to pack everything as there's no way I'd be able to do it now.

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Every time I've moved (the last time was 21 years ago), I got tea chests from the local tea factory. They were very sturdy and you could get quite a bit in them. Sometimes they were a bit heavy though. Banana and apple boxes are good too. You can usually get the lids and either put them on the bottom box or leave the cardboard bit in and use them separately.
    Christine
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Thank you all for some really good suggestions.

Grace, for my next move I plan to be in a box myself :lol:
    Steven Wright