How do ultrasounds help in diagnosis?

Options
Rach101
Rach101 Member Posts: 165
edited 4. Aug 2016, 16:00 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've got an appointment next week with a rheumatologist (it's my second app) so I can have ultrasounds on my painful, swollen joints. Apparently this is to help diagnosis. But how does it help? What are they looking for? They think I've either got reactive arthritis or early rheumatoid. I've searched this website and the Internet but can't find an answer.

Also, my CRP levels keep going up and down (4 tests in 3 mths, highest level was 42, lowest was 1!) Is this usual? How can I have visible swelling in my fingers, wrists, ankles and knees but not have inflammation in my blood? I'm horribly confused :/

Thanks as always for your help and patience

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ultrasounds show tissue damage and inflammation. They'd probably mean nothing to you and me but, to someone qualified to read them, they are useful diagnostic tools.

I don't know why your inflammation levels are up and down and don't really understand the CRP test except that it shows general levels of inflammation but not (I believe) why it's there.

The main thing is that the rheumatologist knows what they're looking for. Sometimes working out exactly what's going on can take time. You'll get there.

How was work?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    As I understand things ultrasound can show damage or inflammation to tissue within the joints; the fluctuations in your figures may be a little unusual - I cannot remember which meds you are on (if any) but I have had blood results which have shown that everything is fine whilst I have felt utterly lousy then the opposite: I feel OK but the bloods are haywire - there's no rhyme nor reason to this arthritic malarkey. At their worst my CRP and ESR were in the 160s - 170s but now, thanks to my current triple therapy, they are often too small to measure, this is how I know the treatment is working. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I had ultrasound on my hand when an Xray report threw up a query about inflammatory arthritis. As DD says it can show what's happening in the soft tissue and the rheumatologists can then see signs of activity or damage from the 3D image. It was a bit like looking at one of those early versions of CGI valleys and hills seen from a fighter jet as the handpiece bit was pushed around on the back of my hand. I had an extra helping as a student was learning the ropes and was struggling so the consultant took over. Let's just say that for the next couple of days I knew that my hand had been thoroughly examined....However having the student there did mean extra time, and a chance to ask questions, so I reckoned the discomfort was worth it.
  • Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    Hello, thanks for your replies it makes more sense now.

I think I should just be patient and trust in the expertise of the rheumatologist it's just that I tend to analyse things and like to know all the ins and outs of everything! The only medication I've been given are anti-inflammatories, I guess they're meant to reduce inflammation so maybe they're working!

I did see a good article on the difference between swelling and inflammation which was helpful. It said that swelling is just one indicator of inflammation, the others being pain, redness and heat (if I remember correctly), I have swelling and pain but no redness or heat so I guess it may mean I don't have inflammation. I guess the human body is a mystery! Hopefully mine will be solved and not filed as an unsolved case!

Work was a bit upsetting overall, I've done a long (and boring) post on my experience in the other thread. Feeling a bit down really :/

Thanks for taking the time to reply x
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hi Rach101
    as DD and SW have said the ultrasound is used to see damaged tissue and your CPR is
    C-reactive protein (CRP)
    A CRP is a non-specific test which can indicate if there is inflammation anywhere in the body by checking how much CRP is present in your blood. CRP is produced by the liver and released into the bloodstream. Elevated levels show that there is inflammation.
    This is taken from our website here https://goo.gl/bDLLLF
    but as DD mentioned you might had a low CRP and still feel awful because of other things that are going on in your body but it is an indicator of inflammation.
    Good luck with the appointment next week
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • ColinJ
    ColinJ Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your inputs

Colin