Gabapentin for nerve pain

Options
Amerififer
Amerififer Member Posts: 13
edited 9. Aug 2016, 07:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hiya All
Just wondering.. :) I've been having increased issues with nerve pain from my cervical arthritis and GP suggested Gabapentin..

Have just started it a few days ago so early days. I'm just wondering what if any issues folks have had with taking it long term.. Has it worked well for you ?

Anything I should be on the lookout for other than what I've been told and read?

Not expecting miracles.. lol but would be nice to have a ease up/dulling/ absence of the horrid nerve pain..

Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Amerififer - nice to meet you.

As with all drugs there are side effects, some more than others, Google will give you lists of all the possible things, which is not always a good thing, as not everyone has every side effect there is. It seems that Gabapentin and Pregabalin are often the drugs of choice for neuropathic pain ( I take the latter ).
    They both have similar actions and results. As you say, they are not a miracle cure, but they do help to dull things down. Pain killers don't exist as such, they simply mask and or dull the signals within the brain. Hence the two drugs are used to treat epilepsy.

I have taken Pregabalin for years now, not the max dose. I always leave room for future problems if they occur, then I can go back to the Doc and medicines can be re jiggled. The Rheumy wanted me on 600mg, from the start, but I said no to that one. I take 400mg, in divided doses. I cannot say I have had a string of side effects or long term problems.
    I am certain others take gabapentin and will be along to let you know how they have been.

I hope they help you and cause little or no problems. Take care
    XX Aidan
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I don't take gabapentin but just bumping this up in the hope others will see it who do though I see bubbles has given a good reply.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Amerififer
    Amerififer Member Posts: 13
    Options
    I don't take gabapentin but just bumping this up in the hope others will see it who do though I see bubbles has given a good reply.

Ta for that :)
    :sunny: the sunny is wishful thinking here in my neck of Scotland lol