Never mind the Lycra!

Options
tkachev
tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
edited 9. Aug 2016, 13:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
I stayed up to see the Rio opening ceremony and on the whole I was impressed. It was shorter than previous opening ceremonies but I think that was in its favour as usually they can go on a bit. I loved the amazon jungle link and the beautiful spinning cauldron. The flame was lit but a previous Olympian who was tackled by a spectator in Athens Marathon knocking him down from 1st to 3rd.

I did think of the ladies on AC when I saw the Tonga flag bearer Pita Taufatofua complete with baby oil and a Tongan mat (bit like a grass skirt). He got a big cheer as did the refugee team.

Can't believe it is 4 years since London.

Elizabeth
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Elizabeth I was falling asleep..so watched it on catch up.....not sure why, but I wasn't expecting much.but thought it was brilliant ..very clever..loved the shiny balloons at the beginning and like you say the cauldron with the sun circling it..or visa versa..and the fireworks were spectacular..just wish the red button would work..but am enjoying what I have seen.. :D
    Forgot to mention the airplane and the ships.. :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    Did you see the dreadful scary gymnastic injury Elizabeth? :( Poor man.

We'd been watching it most of the evening last night with Lucy and her friend. Luckily we didn't see it.

I do hope he's ok.

Barbara our red button hasn't been working either - I thought it was me!

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Having spent a full day at the cricket I was falling asleep by 10pm. I'm glad you all liked the ceremony.

Plenty of lycra on display in yesterday's cycling. Mr SW was watching but I shall stick with my cricket.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Toni I saw it live. His leg was at a funny angle and clearly broken. I'm online chatting with the gymnastics community and it looks like he has had a few breaks in the recent past but thankfully in high spirits considering.

Barbara I was't expecting much either. London was a hard act to follow but Rio went with the colonization and the growth of the population (it did remind me a bit of Wall-E when he finds one plant has finally grown on a polluted Earth. :)) Not sure about the aroeplane-I'll need to read up about that as I'm sure the Wright Brothers got there first!

The red button isn't very good this time Barbara but on the BBC website (I go through BBC sports and then schedule) you can watch most sports live.

So far I've been staying up late, watching hours and hours of gymnastics live on BBC website and then getting up in the morning to watch it all on repeat.

The cycling was great Sticky and I watch on the TV same time as the gym on my computer.

Elizabeth.
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've been thinking of you, tkachev, because I know this is right up your street given your gymnastic past; although the timing must be very hard I hope you are enjoying what you are seeing. I felt for Louis Smith and well done to Daniel Goodfellow and Tom Daley, yes? I haven't seen the opening ceremony but have seen pics of the giant rubber bands which I thought very effective. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben