Tin opener

Options
valde
valde Member Posts: 271
edited 8. Aug 2016, 16:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Good afternoon...help
Can anyone tell me of a tin opener that is good for arthritic hands. Curled middle finger and no strength in hands especially thumbs. I cannot use the turn one and I cannot get the hang of the electric ones. Many thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've had a K*nw**d electric one for far more years than I can remember. I find it very easy to use but there is a knack to it. You have to ensure the 'arm' is lifted high enough and the tin positioned correctly. http://tinyurl.com/zl8dkgj

There is also a battery-operated one-touch one which looks good.
    http://tinyurl.com/jp8fmce . I have a similar one-touch device for opening jars and, again, have used it for years.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • valde
    valde Member Posts: 271
    Options
    Thanks Sticky. I have tried electric but got frustrated with it. I am going shopping tomorrow so will get a one touch one and give it a try. Had a problem yesterday day when I fancied red salmon sandwiches and had to ask my neighbour to open but don't want to make a habit of it. thanks again
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I bought a one touch opener. It was brilliant for a short while but now it won't stop and it's very fiddly to get the lid off the opener while it's still going. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but take care if it happens to you.
    Christine
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Tin openers are tricky things, there's no doubt about that. For tins with ring pulls I have devised my own method involving a wooden spoon, a circular gripper mat and muttered oaths :wink: but I have reached the stage where I won't buy tinned goods which lack that feature. I find the smaller ring pull tins very frustrating, i.e. those which contain anchovies, sardines and salmon because there's no room for manoeuvre.

In my kitchen armoury I have a Good Grips opener which is helpful on my better days and my late Ma bought me a battery-operated opener which, in truth, is rarely used because I find it awkward. I have never tried a wall-mounted electric opener. Have you researched on-line disability web sites? I hope you find an answer that works for you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    It was our own Numptydumpty on here who first informed me that ring pull cans can just be opened in the normal way with my bogstandard, free-standing electric can opener – even the awkwardly shaped sardine / anchovy ones.

I am now feeling compelled to argue the case for electric ones. Mine is ancient. I've never had a problem with it and that despite the fact that my fingers are bent all over the place and have little strength. I just feel a little time spent on getting the technique right means virtually all of us could open every tin.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    I'm with you Sticky, my free standing electric one has served me well for many years and I have no strength in my wonky fingers. I couldn't open a tin without it. :D

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'