Having a laugh

lindamay
lindamay Member Posts: 118
edited 11. Aug 2016, 16:21 in Community Chit-chat archive
Wednesday mornings I go with friends to Salvation Army. It is basically similar to an over-sixties but there are some younger people who go to. We play Scrabble to keep the old grey matter working. You can also join in other board games, play pool, table tennis, or on the Wii. We pay all of £1.00 and put coins in a dish for a drink and biscuits. Whenever it is someone birthday they always receive a card and everyone sings to them. Once a month all the birthdays that month share a cake and nibbles. The Salvation Army organise outings and a week's holiday. I cannot praise them enough. This is only one group they do. Others are specifically aimed for young people and a solo group. They work so hard for everyone.

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    That's great to hear Lindamay.

When I was a social worker we had groups for younger people, (I mean adults), on a similar line, but sadly with the cuts they had to go :(

I hope you keep on supporting your group :)

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    lindamay most of my past family were members of the salvation army..I am embarrassed to say I dont go, but we do donate to them..like you say they work so hard for others..glad you enjoy it... :D x
    Love
    Barbara
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    That sounds wonderful. Two of my dad's sisters and their husbands were all in the Salvation Army. They do some amazing work.
    Christine
  • lindamay
    lindamay Member Posts: 118
    At Christmas they give us a party and put on a "mini show". They give us the best medicine........a good laugh.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It's to their credit that they continue to hold such life-enhancing events. I know that, with Health and Safety rules and CRB checks, there are far more demands now for anyone doing such work.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    The Salvation Army is a very under-rated and generally un-supported organisation, probably because they are so modest about what they quietly achieve for so many people. There is good in this world as the actions of their members prove. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben