back from my appointment

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 14. Aug 2016, 12:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
Thank you for your message this morning Sticky x
I have seen the neurosurgeon this morning who had the results of my bloods, MRI and discogram. He said the bloods did not concerns him, although did not say they were normal. But that is good enough for me. The MRI showed that the bulging disc is worse than the one done in March, but he could not see any signs of infection, which is what he was worried about after the increased pain after the discogram. So good that no infection. He says the space between L4/5 is very collapsed and my spine does not have normal curvature and has little movement in that area. He is advising a lumbar fusion L4/5. I asked about the artificial disc as I had read more positive information about this rather than the fusion. He said the loss of disc height would make it very difficult , and that it is very difficult if not impossible to revise the artificial disc if needed. I told him my concerns about the fusion causing damage over time to the adjacent vertebrae and he said yes this can happen. Also he told me that one of my discs higher up is `going` so DDD there too. I asked if having the fusion would help the one which is going further up but he said no, it will still get worse .
So he has said he will do the surgery but it will be a big operation and be difficult due to the loss of height. So he is planning it at the main hospital not the private one I was seen at today, as the main hospital has better back up if needed.
I asked when he would be able to do it and he said he needs to sort a team and maybe 3-4 months. I am feeling disappointed in some ways that I have no choices re surgery, and that it will be near Christmas. Not sure how I will cope pain wise until then, and be able to work. But I m hopeful that it will help me, and that the other disc does not deteriorate quickly.
So home again and in pain from travelling.
Thanks for reading
NB

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh NB, methinks this is not what you were hoping to hear. :( Not having similar troubles I honestly don't know what to say so I'll do this instead. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi DD
    Thanks, yes not what I really wanted to her, but half expected .
    Take care xx
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh NB this has been my worry the fusion, only saying that many do have them and get on with there lives, its so scary to have to go through something like this, but will be worth it if it rids you of some of that pain...many hugs coming your way...((()))
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    A bit of a curate's egg of an appointment, wasn't it? I think no infection is very good. The wait is not good but better by far to have it done where there are decent facilities for your recovery and I know, from my knee revision, that big ops require longer theatre time and therefore a longer wait for the surgery.

Backs, however, are precious. Try not to worry about work. If you can't, you can't. If you try, you could make things much worse. Put yourself, and your recovery first.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Like DD don't know what to say to comfort you so sending some heartfelt hugs (((()))) Mig
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thank you Barbara- I know you that have been having similar issues with your back. I have been thinking today and part of me wants to get a second opinion, part of me wants to say no to the surgery, and then again I am only 47, I need to give myself the chance of being in less pain

Sticky- thanks for yor wise words. My worry about work is whether I am coming to the end of the line . But I am scared of admitting that I may not be able to physically do my job anymore. I am currently signed off, and know that I have not improved in the time off I have had so far.

Mig- thanks for your kindness.

Mr NB was going to the shop , and I needed some things so like the stubborn thing I am I insisted in accompanying him, instead of giving him a list as he suggested. I really struggled getting my right leg to move , and dragged it around the shop. Getting in and out of the car was very unladylike :lol: :roll: I am sat with lots of pillows around me, and a hot water bottle on my leg/ then back.
    That will teach me!! (probably not though :roll: )
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Being stubborn has its uses in helping us to get on with things but learning not to be stubborn is far harder: there is a very fine line between when it's useful and when it harms. DD
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi DD
    I know that being stubborn is not always beneficial to us, but poor Mr NB has been meeting himself coming back and know that he secretly was glad I went with him as he would have been searching the shelves for ages and would have probably come away with the wrong thing! :lol:
    I have rested more today and am moving about a little easier than yesterday.
    I am having my hair cut tomorrow, but luckily my hairdresser comes to me so I don`t need to go out and sit in an uncomfortable chair.
    NB
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    I, too, find it difficult to say anything, NB, but sending positive thoughts and thinking about you. Take care. ((()))

Meg
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Meg
    Thanks for your kind words.
    My right eg is feeling better today, my back is as it is- stiff and painful but this will be. I have had my hair cut, and that feels better.
    Quiet day now. Watching the Olympics, I enjoy the athletics as strange as it may sound I was a quite good athlete in my teens especially the high jump. Quite funny now that I struggle to lift my leg to dress nowadays!
    Happy weekend all x
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Ah yes, Blokes and food shopping. I remember a friend telling me that her Spouse returned from the supermarket telling her that they had no sugar whatsoever. :wink:

When I broke my upper left humerus I discovered the 'joy' of internet supermarket shopping and that is wonderful for the heavy and the basics. When we are entertaining Mr DD does the bulk of the cooking and leaves the decisions about what to chef until the morning of the day concerned (I remind myself on a frequent basis that he is healthy and has no constraints on energy levels). He departs to the orange-themed chain and can be gone for two hours because he browses every department (apart from children and women's clothing, well I presume he' not looking there to buy stuff for his other wife and secret offspring :wink: )

Morale-boosters come in many shapes and forms; a haircut is a boost for me as is getting my eyebrows sorted (I'm currently resembling one of the Gallagher brothers with my monobrow) and smothering myself in baby talc. I hope you are feeling at least a little better after resting. DD