Final diagnosis of post-viral arthritis

Options
Rach101
Rach101 Member Posts: 165
edited 12. Aug 2016, 12:04 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I saw the rheumatologist again today and after using ultrasound on all my joints she has confidently told me that I definitely do not have rheumatoid arthritis and has diagnosed post-viral arthritis. They are not going to give me any medication except for painkillers and she is going to refer me for hydrotherapy - has anybody had this? Was it helpful? She didn't want to give me a timescale for recovery but when pressed she said I should start feeling better in a few months time.

Work is a constant worry, I went in for 4 hrs yesterday and managed 3. I felt ill and in pain the whole time and ended up crying in front of about 4 colleagues and my area manager. I'm under big pressure to return but am not well enough yet. Was a disaster tbh. Meant to be working on Sunday but not sure what to do. I don't want to give up but I know it's too soon really :(

Has anybody else had post-viral arthritis? When I rang the helpline they said it was the same as reactive arthritis. How long did it take to recover and how did you know you were actually getting better? I seem to have good weeks and bad weeks so in a good week I think I'm getting better and that's how I ended up suggesting a return to work! But now I'm having a bad week.

Thanks as always for any advice!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rach101
    well you finally have a diagnosis which is a good start. Here is a fact sheet for you to look at https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/what-is-arthritis/resources/236-reactive-arthritis
    you might find the section on "what I can do to help myself useful"
    I have had hydrotherapy in the past and found it immensely helpful as the warm water and the weightlessness makes exercise much easier. Arthritis Research UK have a good booklet all about it that you can download here http://www.arthritisresearchuk.org/shop/products/publications/patient-information/therapies/hydrotherapy.aspx
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Being as I am I'm pleased that you have this kind because it will clear and leave you in peace, albeit in its own time. This further uncertainty must be hard for you to deal with and for others to understand (I suspect they won't because they 'know' that arthritis i comes in two forms (OA and RA) and is only for the elderly who might use a stick).

I cannot help on the work-front because I was lucky in being self-employed, the arthritis arrived two years after I set myself up as a mobile ( as if! ) private tutor for dyslexics. I had a lovely and very understanding boss but she finally lost her temper :wink: with my unplanned absences and extended periods of unpaid sick leave. This must be so much harder for you, especially if you enjoy your work but your health comes first. Your health will return and I hope you will be able to keep this arthritis at bay but in the meantime? All I can do is send these ((( ))) and wish you well (which you will be in due course). We're here if needed. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Well, that's excellent news. I'm very pleased for you.

Hydrotherapy is wonderful. Everyone loves it. Because of the water supporting our joints we can move them better, more freely and easily than outside it. The water's also, usually, quite warm – warmer than a normal swimming pool – because we are not aiming to do strenuous stuff that would keep us warm, just get the joints and muscles used to going through a wider range than they currently can. It's all too easy to overdo things but your physio will be vigilant.

I think only you and your docs (rheumatologist? GP once (s)he has the rheumatologist's report?) can assess your fitness for work. I do know that stressing about it will only make it worse. Easy to say, I know. As your rheumatologist said, there is no time scale that the arthritis will adhere to. It is the nature of the beast that it ebbs and flows, sometimes according to how much we have overdone things and sometimes according to a secret plan of its own :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright