Learning to drive??

DavidJHarding
DavidJHarding Member Posts: 2
edited 12. Aug 2016, 12:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello,

I'm 38 and I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis 4 years a go after 10+ years of back pain.

I've been on anti-TNF drugs for 2 years and its totally change my life, I sleep through the night without pain and am much more active - I go swimming twice a week and play table tennis.

I would quite like to starting learning to drive but I appreciate it might be a non starter, my neck is partially fused meaning I don't have full range of movement, checking my mirrors would be no problem but looking back over my shoulder to check my blind spots will be an issue - I guess reversing will be a problem too.

I don't want to drop a load of money of lessons if I've got no chance of passing my test.

Also is there anything I need to before I start lessons?

Thanks for reading

Dave

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Dave
    and welcome to the forum, great to hear that anti TNF treatment has changed your life and that you are able to be a lot more active. This is wonderful news and always good to hear. As regards driving I think the best place to start would be to contact your local forum mobility center and ask their advice. http://www.mobility-centres.org.uk/find_a_centre/
    They run assessments for people who need adaptations in order to continue driving independently. I am sure they would be able to advise you on simple adaptations for your car. They may also be able to advise you on a suitable driving instructor as some of the centers have instructors.
    I hope it goes well for you and please come back and update us on your progress so that others can benefit from your experience. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask away, that is what we are here for
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am very pleased that your treatment has been successful in that you are able to sleep well and can participate in active sports.

I learned to drive long before I began arthritis (and back in the dark ages where cars had progressed to sporting door rather than wing mirrors). Now parking sensors are the norm so I cannot see a problem: for years HGV drivers have used door mirrors when reversing so if they can you can, yes? In my experience blind spots are more of a problem when looking forward.

I hope I'm not being too nosey but I am curious about why you haven't done this before the grand old age of 38: do you live in a city? To my mind living in a city (which usually has good public transport but poor parking) negates the need to drive. I'm a rural gal so the opposite applies.

I hope you are able to find someone to help and that you pass the test. One of the few remaining perks of my arthritic life is that on a good day I can get in my car and drive myself to pastures new (or at least familiar). Every little helps.

I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Hi
    I'm glad to see that its working......Make enquiries...try Sharon's link
    I know people who have hand controls {not using their feet} there are lots of adaptions I'm sure you could get. I only have a wide mirror so that I don't have to turn my head completely so thee will be other things
    Good Luck
    Let us know

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Well done on taking – or at least contemplating – the plunge.

I only learnt to drive after about 10 years of RA when I qualified for a Motability car. I went to the nation's biggest driving school first as, like you, I was worried about the expense of lessons. I had a lesson in one of their cars and almost wrapped it round a tree. The instructor had attached a knob to the steering wheel thinking it would be easier for me. It wasn't. My arm only reached approximately 2/3 of the way up so the first turn was a disaster. He said I'd never learn to drive.

I disagreed. I felt he was part of the problem so I went to a small local school and, as luck would have it, got an instructor who was skilled at teaching disabled people. I'd warned him of what the other school had said. He let me have a normal steering wheel. After the lesson he said he could see no reason why I shouldn't drive. I got my Motability automatic car and some adaptions ( a pull on / push off handbrake and the pedals switched so that I could use my better foot) and passed my test first time.

My neck is stiff, too, so I just used the mirrors. Extra ones can be fitted if necessary.

Go for it! You might find this site useful http://www.disableddrivinglessons.co.uk/
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright