RESULT OF ASPIRATION

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 15. Aug 2016, 16:31 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone that popped into my pocket for this afternoon.
Well Home.....after 6 hours :o
Eventually got both knees done.

For anyone that doesn't know, last Friday he told me the results of the MRI......arthritis in both knees {no surprise really}

So a week later I went for the aspiration in both knees. It was very sore, and when I got home I could face much of a meal at all!!! not like me :lol: I felt quite shaky for the rest of the afternoon. I'm now in the bedroom {have been for about 1 and a half hours} I couldn't face the computer before that so when I came up and got un dressed I sat down to answer to posts/emails.

The results.......He said "no sign of infection {he wondered about that} no sign of gout? or anything else. Just arthritis in my knees.
I'm puzzled. Arthritis in my knees and I'm a lot sorer than I was before my 2 THR's??????? My mobility is a lot worse now and I cant drive very well. He says they aren't bad enough for a TKR {thank goodness} but that's what I'm puzzled about. The pain being worse and my mobility being a lot worse :?
Oh well I'll have to learn to cope.....I did with it in my hips, lower back, neck ankle so I suppose I'll have to find some way of coping with this
Love
Hileena

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm sorry about this. I can feel your disappointment that the appointment didn't go as you'd hoped. Something more easily treated or banished would have been good, wouldn't it? I guess the one good thing is that you got your test results on the day so the waiting was not prolonged.

I was quite lucky with my hips and knees in that I had no hip problems when I got my first TKRs, no knee problems when one hip broke and it was only when the second hip needed replacing that I also had knee problems as the TKRs very very old by then. But I do think the more joints are involved the worse everything is. There is a knock-on effect as, to misquote the old song, the hip joint fails to connect with the knee joint etc.

You have a permanently damaged hip joint and presumably you walk more awkwardly because of it. That will impact on your knees and on the pain you experience from them.

I know your modus operandi is to pick yourself up, dust yourself down and get on with things and I know you'll do that now. Maybe a few more physio exercises?
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Sticky,
    It was great getting the results on the day. I didn't expect that at all. The other thing was he put a letter for the GP into my hand and my copy letter before I left. Don't know about you but I wait for weeks before I hear anything. I've still got to wait to see what the Lab says now. Also the other good thing is NO INFECTION like I said he wondered about that.
    Hopefully he will mention physio hen I next see him. I know all the exercises for THR's but not the ones for TKR's or the do's and dont's. If you remember your THR {I know I haven't had a TKR} all the things you cant do etc.
    There isn't a book for arthritis in the knee {specifically} as far as
    I know.
    Oh well if he doesn't mention physio the next time I see him I'll mention it to him.
    He's nice.....you can ask him anything.
    When he wants me in he comes in singing "Come on Eileen" come on Eileen" :lol: Dexie Midnight Runners.....you remember that song?
    I like your song even if it is misquoted :lol::lol::lol:
    Love
    Hileena
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Sorry to hear that your knees are so painful, Hileena, but it's really good that there's no infection.

I've got painful OA in both knees too and one occasionally swells up. Thankfully, so far, I haven't had to do anything more than take medication for the swelling to go down, but I can empathise with how you feel.

Your consultant sounds lovely - yes, I remember that song - and here's hoping he sorts out some physio for you that will help. Take care.

Meg
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi Meg
    Thanks for the reply....it is good news that there is no infection.
    But the pain...not sure how to cope with it. Especially when I have arthritis all over and can cope with it :o
    Oh well.......things will work out

Love
    Hileena
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Hileena
    Thanks for your update. I am glad that you have no infection but can understand your frustration at not understanding why your knees are affecting things so much. I wonder if as Sticky says , your issue with your hip fracture causing you to have walking difficulties has added to pain in your knees? I hope that in a few days when you are over the aspiration pain, that you feel a bit more comfortable without the fluid there.
    Take care
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh dear, oh Hileena, I am so sorry. :( This sounds very familiar to me (been there, had that done a number of times, post-aspiration pain is a ^&*$"^" compared to the usual levels) but this must be a complete shock for you.

Arthritis hurts no matter what kind it is but that doesn't make it easier to accept, does it? ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi NB
    If I could believe it was aspiration pain that I would get over that would be good but my back is very sore as well......I have arthritis in lower spine and scoliosis and these 2 combined have always made my back ache. Usually a heat patch {no medication in it} is enough to ease it. Its only when I walk far or do some heavy things {when I'm doing talks and saying about pacing yourself.....who reminds me :lol: }
    Now it is fairly constant and its a pain not an ache!!!

Sticky is probably right one thing goes and it knocks other things. Somehow you would think that walking on crutches would help.
    Oh well......lets hope that if I behave myself it will sort itself out :lol: eventually
    Love
    Hileena
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD
    Yes it did come as a shock {if it is just aspiration pain}. Somehow I thought it would be like other injections....steroid etc and be sore for a while but not as bad as this.
    I don't doubt that you know. You are one of the most experienced ones :lol:
    Oh I know arthritis hurts no matter what kind but the fact that my hips were replaced and they were not nearly as sore and these aren't and they are much sorer....don't get me wrong I don't want them replaced unless absolutely necessary.
    Eventually I'll find a way to manage it
    Thank you both for your posts
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I think there is a logical explanation behind the increased pain levels in your knees (and not just from the aspiration). Knees are more complex joints in how they work compared to hips, they bear more body weight and face greater impact from walking and any other movement. When other joints are out of kilter (such as your spine with the scoliosis) we compensate by changing how we move in an understandable effort to reduce discomfort, thus throwing other joints out of true. Did they inject a local anaesthetic first and did they give that time to work? It's when that wears off that the ghastly soreness comes to the fore. Coddle your poorly knees as best you can, keep them warm, supported and rested because that is one of the best management techniques we have at our disposal. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I can't add anything to all the advice you have been given but just wnted to send some hugs ((()))
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi DD, Slosh and Sharon
    Thanks for your replies. I now have another problem I'm sorry.
    Last night {Sunday} I was sitting and felt as if there was something jabbing into me.....my back about the waistband {what's a waist????? :lol: }
    Then this morning when I woke up I had the same pain. I've had aches, pains etc. You know how you know your arthritis pain. This is different. Jabbing and a sort of burning is the only way I can explain it.

Most of my pains are constant....this isn't. I got into the car tonight just to test myself and drove for about 2 mins and had to turn back. That time it seemed to be when I turned the wheel, it was agony. I put a squishy cushion behind me to try that....I just went Ohhhhhh!!! and pulled it out. So driving is out. That poor little car wont know what's wrong with it...its just sitting there :o .

Just going to check that link Sharon thanks.
    Anyone any idea what kind of pain that is? Nerve???

Love
    Hileena