Holiday time soon- travelling tips?

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 15. Jun 2018, 03:06 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
We are off on our family hols to sunny Spain, with friends and their children too. We have booked a villa with pool so we can be as relaxed as needed etc. No worry about anyone laughing at me struggling to get up and down from the sunlounger :lol:
But my main worry is the flight. We are on a budget airline so leg room is not always great. I have booked an aisle seat and have booked assistance. I did try to get the extra legroom but they won`t let me have exit seats when disabled.
So any tips for comfort in flight? I am seeing my GP for a prescription of Diazepam in case of spasms in my back like the other week when I couldn`t move . I have some heat patches I can use, but they play havoc with my lovely hot flushes ( another female bain!)
So any helpful advice is welcomed
NB

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello NB same here they wouldn't let me have a seat with extra legroom because they are near the doors..I did book assistant but had to ask again at the airport, but it was good not having to hold everyone back..Just keep those legs moving..any which way..and enjoy your holiday sounds so lovey having a villa...any more room in your suitcase for a little one..will be no trouble... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    I am sure I could squeeze you in somewhere Barbara! :lol: 8)
    I have just ordered my repeat prescriptions for my hols. I can`t believe how much room my tablets will take up! I am not looking forward to the flight, but I am focussing on the villa and the pool!
    :cheers: :splash:
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    you will soon be there and then can relax and enjoy...its the airport and flights I dont like now ..it takes far to long if you ask me..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I always phone my travel agent a fortnight before we go to check she has booked assistance at the airport. When I'm on a flight I try and keep my legs moving i.e circling them ect and that helps, but I have short legs so have a little room to do leg movement exercises!! Have a wonderful holiday!! :deckchair:
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    Hello Peter21 and welcome to the forums from the moderation team.

Do please tell us a little bit about your Arthritis and/yourself.

Those are very good suggestions for a holiday check list, but don’t forget your medication!

We have a great community here, who have lots of experience of arthritis, I know they will make you very welcome and help in any way they can so do ask away!

I look forward to seeing you posting in future.

Best wishes

Ellen.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi NB, hope the holiday is a real boost, enjoy the warmth.

Airport assistance is great, if it doesn't include assistance through security I always pay a little extra for the speed lane through-it costs about £5 at our local airport and cuts out the ridiculous queues.

I always carry a spare copy of my repeat prescription, and some places insist that meds are in their original packaging.

I also carry a photocopy of my passport identity/number page in case it gets lost/stolen.

Hopefully you've got your EHIC for free treatment in the EU.

Antibacterial wipes/hand gel helps keep germs at bay-I use them when visiting public toilets /airplane toilet etc. On a recent cruise we were advised to open the outer toilet door handle using a spare paper towel after washing hands to avoid the risk of contacting germs from others who may not hand wash effectively :shock:

A change of underwear and spare tee shirt rolls up nice and small in hand luggage and is a useful stand by in case luggage gets lost.

Enjoy your planning, and have an amazing holiday. m0150 m0150
    Deb x
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Just a couple of things, take a small cushion to use behind your back and keep fidgeting, staying still is painful. Painkillers before you travel, a gentle massage, an instant heat bag and something to take your mind off travelling, a good book/crossword?

I have massage seat with heaters in the car, it helps.
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi everyone
    This is very strange, my post is 2 years old, but is still relevant as I am going on hols again in the morning!
    Health wise I am doing well at the moment. I have lost 4 and a half stones, started to get a bit more active, but paced myself so not too set myself back. I am feeling better mentally and my pain levels are better controlled. The weight loss will have helped that too I am sure. I have had an injection into my hip for bursitis recently which has been successful. My back is still bad at times, but the fusion surgery has made a big difference to my pain. levels.
    I have packed my meds, a list from my GP of my meds, got my health insurance sorted. Booked an aisle seat so I can stretch out a little , as I cant have the extra leg room seat as am disabled, but plan to walk about once in the air.
    I am looking forward to some relaxation in the sun, before I start a new job! m0150
    Hope everyone is doing ok x
    NB
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    This thread was resurrected by a spammer hence the replies from this year. I hope you enjoy your holiday. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben