How long is recovery from mid-foot fusion?

Options
Megrose2
Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
edited 20. Aug 2016, 06:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
As many of you will know I have had mid-foot arthritis for some time and, while some days it's passable, other days (like today) I'm finding it difficult to walk. My podiatric surgeon has kept me on his books and told me to go back if the orthotics don't work and I'm seriously considering going back to see him, even though I know that this will mean surgery.

However, I will be having a trapeziectomy next Wednesday and will need to get over that to some extent. I'm booked to go to Iceland for a few days next February (yippee!) and will also be going on a UK holiday at the beginning of May. I've read that mid-foot fusion can take approximately 6-12 months recovery.

Has anyone had this operation and can give me any guidelines as to how long it will take before I can walk again? If I had it in March, would I be OK to go on holiday, even with crutches or similar? Dithering!

Meg

Comments

• trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    had both keels fused , the first included some of the mid-foot joints , imagine recovery would be the same , 6 weeks in cast & weight free & then into a airboot , after 3 months you should be able to drive & would expect use a airboot for 6 months & that is how long it took myself the last fusion

but ask the consultant or a nurse to find out & think of the benifits of having it done & dont put it off to much because it can cause problems with other joints if it affects the way you walk
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh my lovely, that's hard question to answer: recovery times vary from person-to-person and depend on so many factors. Given your approaching trapeziectomy and the two holidays I would delay this surgery (if it's offered) until after the second spell away. I know this will be uncomfortable for you but by this time next year it could all be sorted . . . I prefer spring / summer operations because recuperation seems easier in the longer, theoretically brighter days. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thank you Trepolpen and DD. I think when I wrote the post I was feeling really frustrated and fed-up with the foot, even though I think you're right, DD, in advising me to wait until after the May holiday. It does get me down every so often.

What I may do is have a word with the consultant's secretary and ask whether there is a waiting list for surgery. This will give me an idea of when to ask for an appointment to see the consultant and discuss it.

Thanks again. Hop-along Meg :)
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Meg, I know nothing about mid-foot fusions but I do know that after my knee revision and after the last THR my surgeon said I should not fly long haul for 6 months as there's an increased danger of blood clots. In your position I'd put safety (and pain :roll:) first and wait.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Megrose2
    Options
    Thanks, Sticky. You're quite right and I've now more or less decided that it will have to be next June or thereabouts. My walking stick is certainly getting lots of use at the moment! :)

Meg