Turmeric

Options
Clarky69
Clarky69 Member Posts: 9
edited 21. Aug 2016, 11:01 in Living with Arthritis archive
Can anybody tell me if turmeric can help reduce inflammation rather than taking ibuprofen have oa of wrist
Dc

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Dave

I replied on your other post with a link to our web site with info regarding osteoarthritis in the hand and wrist.

Having a healthy diet is always good and can help greatly in managing pain. We have advice on both Diet and Exercise with a booklet on Healthy Eating and Arthritis: https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis/diet-and-exercise/diet

Bryn
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    when I first had RA over 20 years ago I tried Turmeric & done nothing to help , there are other anti-inflammatories which works better

one thing I was told that cod liver oil was a natural anti inflammatory by my consultant , other thing you could try in a gel like voltoral gel which you can get on prescription
  • Clarky69
    Options
    Thanks both for your replies really informative and helpful a lot to take in at minute only Been diagnosed for 4 weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    These are early days for you indeed and it is a lot to take in. In seems unreal in the 21st century that around ten million people in the UK are affected by one or another form of this disesase and that there is no cure. After twenty years of dealing with this malarkey (and twenty years receiving good advice about what I should be doing and eating, usually given by those without any form of the condition) one thing is abundantly clear. Diet may or may not make a difference, supplements may or may not make a difference, copper bracelets, insoles and other things may or may not make a difference, the meds the docs prescribe may or may not make a difference.

I read your other post on Say Hello, is it your dominant wrist that is affected? Have you injured the wrist at any time? OA is the most common form of arthritis and, because it is so ubiquitous, it is often not taken 'seriously' by people but you know (as doe we) that it can cause quite a few problems. I hope the steroid works (the injections are very unpredictable, they may or may not make a difference :wink: ) but it wont solve the issue. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    There is some evidence that turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. See here http://tinyurl.com/j8724s7 . Cod liver oil has also been shown to have beneficial effects. However, whether or not they would work as well as standard anti-inflamms is another matter.

Always check with your pharmacist when buying supplements that they won't clash with any other meds you might be taking and, as a rule of thumb, I always protect my stomach by taking any meds / supplements with either a meal or a small amount of food – plain biscuit, apple etc.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Clarky69
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    These are early days for you indeed and it is a lot to take in. In seems unreal in the 21st century that around ten million people in the UK are affected by one or another form of this disesase and that there is no cure. After twenty years of dealing with this malarkey (and twenty years receiving good advice about what I should be doing and eating, usually given by those without any form of the condition) one thing is abundantly clear. Diet may or may not make a difference, supplements may or may not make a difference, copper bracelets, insoles and other things may or may not make a difference, the meds the docs prescribe may or may not make a difference.

I read your other post on Say Hello, is it your dominant wrist that is affected? Have you injured the wrist at any time? OA is the most common form of arthritis and, because it is so ubiquitous, it is often not taken 'seriously' by people but you know (as doe we) that it can cause quite a few problems. I hope the steroid works (the injections are very unpredictable, they may or may not make a difference :wink: ) but it wont solve the issue. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Unfortunately it is dominant wrist and I broke my scaphoid bone In wrist about 20 years ago

• Clarky69
    Options
    There is some evidence that turmeric has anti-inflammatory properties. See here http://tinyurl.com/j8724s7 . Cod liver oil has also been shown to have beneficial effects. However, whether or not they would work as well as standard anti-inflamms is another matter.

Always check with your pharmacist when buying supplements that they won't clash with any other meds you might be taking and, as a rule of thumb, I always protect my stomach by taking any meds / supplements with either a meal or a small amount of food – plain biscuit, apple etc.
    Thanks for info