Hydroxychloroquine

Options
ColinJ
ColinJ Member Posts: 46
edited 26. Aug 2016, 03:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,many years ago I had to see a gastro Dr and that was followed up with camera down my gullet,the problem was swollowing fruit,after the examination with the camera which made me feel very ill,he told me it was the muscles in osephagus were weak,but over the years I have been ok,but all of a sudden it
as come back again with fruit and certain fruit drinks,could it be anything from the hydroxy medication

Comments

• theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I was prescribed hydroxychloroquine about 18 months ago, but haven't had the problem you describe. Are you on any form of stomach protector, such as omeprazole? It's perhaps a good idea to see your GP, or your rheumy team.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I, too, have swallowing problems but I also have GORD. (Gastro Osophageal Reflux Disease) I'm wholly unaware of my reflux (It's known as 'silent reflux' but, if I have too much acidic or fizzy stuff, it will kick in. I've also been on hydroxy for years but don't think that's the problem. Try cutting out citrus fruit in any way shape or form and maybe also tomatoes. Although good for us, especially for men, they can cause problems too.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It seems odd that only fruit caused this trouble, surely weak muscles would have trouble with any kind of food? :? Mind you, fruit is very acidic and that could upset the osophegus (or however you spell it!)

I know that with some of the much stronger meds for RA grapefruit is a no-no, apparently there is something in that which reacts with the medication but that applies to the anti-TNFs and biologics. I think you're best going to see your GP, it sounds as though an old trouble has resurfaced - they have a habit of dong that. :roll: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Popsmith1874
    Popsmith1874 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi I get swallowing problems quite a lot and sometimes my mouth is very dry especially at night and since I've had RA and OA the complications and side affects are unbelievable :too-hot:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    How are things now, Colin? I've been thinking about you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright