Trapeziumectomy

Options
johnn
johnn Member Posts: 9
edited 23. Aug 2016, 17:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello
I have arthritis in both my thumb joints and have been advised to consider a trapeziumectomy, which involves the removal of the small bone at the base of the thumb. I've met one person who's had it and gave it great reviews. I'd be interested to know the experiences of others, especially how successful it has been in removing pain, whether it affects freedom of movement in the hand and whether you have experienced any loss of strength or of grip. The latter points are important to me as I'm an active DIY man and also a stone-carver.
Thanks
Johnn

Comments

• Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm due to have a trapeziectomy tomorrow, Johnn, so will be able to tell you more after that. I've had numerous steroid injections into my left thumb joint, over many years, but, of course, the effect only lasts so long. I've also got arthritis in the right thumb joint and, if everything works out all right with the left one, I intend to have that operated on in the future.

If the thumb arthritis is affecting your quality of life, as it must be, then the operation is definitely worth thinking about. I enjoy knitting and crochet and have had to put things on hold because of the pain in my thumbs.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Meg
  • johnn
    Options
    Megrose2 wrote:
    I'm due to have a trapeziectomy tomorrow, Johnn, so will be able to tell you more after that. I've had numerous steroid injections into my left thumb joint, over many years, but, of course, the effect only lasts so long. I've also got arthritis in the right thumb joint and, if everything works out all right with the left one, I intend to have that operated on in the future.

If the thumb arthritis is affecting your quality of life, as it must be, then the operation is definitely worth thinking about. I enjoy knitting and crochet and have had to put things on hold because of the pain in my thumbs.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Meg
    Thanks, Meg. The very best of good fortune tomorrow. You'll soon be back at that wool shop!
    John
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    Hi John,

I've not had a trapeziectomy but how lucky that you found someone about to have one. Lucky too that it's 'megrose' as I know she'll be a reliable 'reporter'. Meanwhile, here are some former threads on it though you may have to dig deep to find something relevant. Good luck
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • johnn
    Options
    Hi John,

I've not had a trapeziectomy but how lucky that you found someone about to have one. Lucky too that it's 'megrose' as I know she'll be a reliable 'reporter'. Meanwhile, here are some former threads on it though you may have to dig deep to find something relevant. Good luck

Thanks for the reply, sticky wicket. Looks like you attached a link to the threads but, being new to the forum, I don't know where to find them/how to link to them. Any help gratefully received!
    John n
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    http://arthritiscareforum.org.uk/search.php?keywords=trapeziectomy&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Sorry John. Nothing to do with you being new. Everything to do with my cutting and pasting technique - or lack of . I'll try again but, if it doesn't work, I'll go for it again tomorrow on my computer. It's the tablet that defeats me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright