New to this post

Sars4185
Sars4185 Member Posts: 34
edited 27. Aug 2016, 05:40 in Say Hello Archive
Hi , wonde if anyone could help me. I#my rt kneecap 9 years ago , was a keen runner but now have severe OA in my rt knee. Trying to lead a normal lifevis hard as its affecting work and life stylevduevtonthe pain . I try to be as active as possible and walk my dogs every day . Steroid injections dont work. My consultant says nextvstep would be partial knee replacement but is holding off due to me being under 50! Please help,
Thanks sara

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi Sars welcome to the forums it is full of lovely people ready to chat and help in any way, just look through all forums and see which you would like.
    We are all here for you all the best.
    Christine :bouncing-ball:
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Hi Sara and welcome from me, too though, as we say round here, I'm sorry you had to join us.

You are quite right that trying to lead a normal life with arthritis is difficult to say the least. My solution has always been to let the arthritis win the small battles so that I have the strength and energy to win the bigger ones. Decide what are your priorities and hang on to them.

It's an unfortunate fact that steroid injections don't work for everyone. Medically, the treatment then usually boils down to anti-inflammatories and / or pain relief. Exercise, of the right kind is vital as that keeps muscles strong. A good, Mediterranean diet helps too.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what a l#my is. I've had both my knee joints replaced though but you are right. They are very reluctant to operate at an age when the patient is likely to live long enough to require a further, longer, more expensive replacement of the replacement.

You'll find plenty of good advice here on how to manage your arthritis from both medical, physical and many other points of view https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/managing-arthritis .And, you'll also find lots of people in the same boat as you.

If you have questions I suggest you put them on the Living With Arthritis forum as more people look on there. Good luck :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Sars4185
    Sars4185 Member Posts: 34
    Thank you sticky wicket, I will try looking at other topics # means fracture sorry that's my medical background coming out sorry . Thanks for your support, I am so glad to have found this site . It's so hard to talk to people who don't have arthritis. We put on a brave face and pretend things are fine , underneath your tired and in pain .
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    Thanks for the explanation about the fracture :) Yes OA can set in at the site of a former break as several people on here have discovered.

It's true that people don't quite understand what it's all about. I had great difficulties when I was young (The "Arthritis? At your age?" kind of stuff) (I have RA) but it's actually much easier to explain now that I'm older and actually look disabled :lol:

We don't want to come over as moaning and groaning all the time but I think it's vital to strike a balance so that people don't think there's nothing much wrong with us. I try to keep things factual ("I'm on a bad day today") rather than whingeing.

I also try to remember that I'm clueless about day to day living with eg MS or MD. I think there's a feeling nowadays that everyone is entitles to perfect health. Oh no :wink:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright