Results of scans and other tests

Options
mig
mig Member Posts: 7,154
edited 9. Sep 2016, 10:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
So it turns out I have bronchiectasis which the letter states is almost certainly due to the RA.Im to have blood tests to check my immunity levels to some of the more common chest infections ! I already have the flu jab and had the pneumonia injection several years ago,can you be injected against more ?!The letter goes on to say that the mainstay of treatment is physio,I will be taught how to clear the phelm from my chest which to be honest I'm useless at and it sounds so disgusting,the physios run the bronchiectasis clinic so thats where I will be going ,just to wait for an app.If I do develop an infection (colour of phelm changes) it should be treated aggesively with a minimum 2 weeks of anti bios and to send a sample of spit off.I have a blood form which I will have done on tuesday when I see the HCA ,going to be interesting to find out what they make of my bloods.
RE HCA visit my health centre do a 6 month check on people with long term health conditions,anyone want to tag along will be welcome.
Anyone else have this condition would be pleased to hear from you.
Take care all Mig :cry:

Comments

• mig
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry can this be moved to LWA. Mig

Will do Mig
    Sharon
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options
    Oh no mig :(

What a shame for you I am sorry, but glad they know what it is and have a plan to keep you as well as possible.

:? I hope your phlegm stays an ok colour :shock:

Sending you ((()))

Love

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Mig sorry you have bronchiectasis, now there is someone else on here with that..not sure if its Kath ..but at least you now know what you are up against..its does sound like you have a good team around you ..doing there bit..will be there on the on the 6 months checkup..xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh spherical objects, that's not good news, I am so sorry to read this. I remember my mum doing physio on my lungs, it involved propping her closed ironing board on an armchair, my laying on it face down with my head towards the pointed end and her hammering my ribs but this was due to asthma, not your condition. Whatever the clearing process involves I am sure you will master it. I have the annual flu jab but not, as yet, the pneumonia so can't advise on that. It's good that you know what's going on and] hope you will be properly monitored. I won't be around on Tuesday but I will be thinking of you. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    Oh Mig, I'm sorry you now have another ' condition. ' It sounds like you will be well monitored. I'm sorry I don't have any advice - I don't know anyone who has it.

I have a pneumonia jab every seven years on my rheumy's instructions.
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    So sorry to hear this, Mig, but it sounds as though they're being quite thorough. I can't clear phlegm either - always fear being sick! Sorry if you're having your breakfast! Take care.

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I'm sorry you now have another unwelcome guest, mig. As if you didn't have enough to deal with. At least you sound to be in good, thorough hands.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the support.I have had an appointment letter to go to Physio its on the 21st of september ,I shall be asking for pocket duties nearer the time. Mig
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Mig,

I've not been around much later, rather struggling with my RA, but reading your post I thought I might be able to put your mind at rest a little.

I too have bronchiectasis alongside the RA, and have far less trouble from the bronchiectasis than the RA. I have had asthma for most of my life, and thanks to the immune-suppressants got endless chest infections which caused the bronchiectasis.

It was discovered after blood tests that I lack the antibody for a common cause of chest infections, this was sorted with a couple of injections, I have an annual flu jab, and the consultant recommended repeating the pneumonia jab immediately then 5 yearly.

I see a respiratory consultant annually (originally 6 monthly), with strict instructions to stop immuno suppressants and start antibiotics at the first sign of an infection. I have inhalers for my asthma, take a daily low level antibiotic prescribed by the respiratory consultant, and at home keep a rescue pack of steroids and two weeks worth of strong antibiotics so that I can quickly get antibiotics on board if a chest infection begins. If I get an infection I have to send off a sputum sample for analysis to check I have the appropriate antibiotic. I also take pills everyday to thin the chest secretions. My daily pill collection runs to 18 alongside pain killers.......I rattle but it keeps me functioning and is better than the illnesses being active!

The physio taught me to use a device which creates pressure in the lungs to clear the sputum.......it's easy, boring but effective! I get an annual review with them to check I'm still doing the physio....I have to admit to letting it slip in the summer when my chest is ok.

So, it's a nuisance, but not dreadful, it's very live -withable, and in the last 5 years I've had no more than one or two chest infections a year which are cleared effectively by the stronger antibiotics. I do make a point of avoiding crowded places, particularly when there are lots of coughs and colds about, and my friends and family now know not to visit if they are unwell. I've travelled abroad several times and simply taken all the meds with me, and the respiratory consultant gave me a letter to carry explaining why.

If you want to chat more feel free to message me. Hope this helps to allay some of your fears.

Deb xx
  • mig
    Options
    Thank-you so much for your post and replying so quick to my pm Dibdab you don't know how much your input helped calm me down.
    This forum is an amazing place the support you get here is second to none thank-you everyone.Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'll second that, mig.

Deb, thanks for taking the time and trouble to write this. I knew virtually nothing about bronchiestasis before reading your post though I did know it was always a possibility for me, thanks to good old RA. You make it seem like one of those things that, with due care and attention, we can live with – a bit like arthritis, really :roll: I suspect you do a very good job of living with it and I admire your courage for the long haul flights.

I'm sorry your RA isn't too good right now. I had noticed your rarer appearances but people do come and go on here so hadn't paid much attention to it. I hope things will improve for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    As I read your post, I remembered Deb saying she has bronc (I'm not even going to attempt spelling that!) too. I'm glad you've had reassurance from her. Such a kind soul you are, Deb. Have you tried the NRAS forum? It's busy and obviously, as more people have RA, there are quite a few people with lung diseases.

Wishing you all the best. You certainly have a lot on your plate, brave lady. Take good care.
  • mig
    Options
    Thanks Starburst I will have a look at NRAS. Mig
  • dibdab
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words folks.......glad to have been able to help a little Mig.

The forum is a lifeline in many ways isn't it, just unloading in a safe space, and knowing that you're not utterly alone and others understand the issues.

SW.......I'm not sure about courage, hubby reckons I'm pig-headed :oops: , he's probably right! I'm just determined to live life as fully as I can for as long as I can, though just now Arthur seems to have the upper hand, but it will settle again eventually and life goes on. Sometimes it all gets a bit overwhelming doesn't it, the relentlessness of getting up in pain, going to bed in pain, and playing off the benefits and drawbacks of the pain relief. One of the biggest drawbacks for me of having acquired bronchiectasis is that the rheumy is reluctant to try me on different immune-suppressants in case it worsens the chest problems, I understand his caution and know he has my best interest at heart, but it feels like a bit of a brick wall just now when the RA is doing its thing so effectively :( . But hey, others deal with a whole lot more than me so I just get on with getting on.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dibdab wrote:
    I'm not sure about courage, hubby reckons I'm pig-headed :oops: ,

It can be a fine dividing line, Deb. Whatever gets you through :D

It is one of the big ironies of autoimmune arthritis that the meds can make worse the add-on problems of the disease.

I hope a better spell comes along soon for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    Options
    Been to see my HCA for annual check ,blood pressure was fine yippee had bloods done fbc, u&e,lft,esr and crp and did the bloods requested by the chest man and she made me an app with gp tomorrow morning,my cough is sounding pretty rough and she thought I ought to have a sputum test which the gp has got to order.She thinks I ought to have another pneumonia jab as its over 10 years since I had the first one.So will wait and see what the gp says tomorrow.Mig
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I hope it's good, mig. I'll be thinking of you.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    Options
    That sounds like a thorough appointment, hope tomorrow is equally fruitful. Another pneumonia jab sounds like a good plan, minor discomfort for long term protection.
    If your cough is rough maybe try steeping fresh lemon in hot water with some honey, it's a really soothing drink and sometimes soothes the cough.

Take care,

Deb x
  • mig
    Options
    So GP thinks I have a chest infection after hearing my cough and listening to my chest and I coughed green phlegm last night and this morning said she won't wait for blood results and sputum test we need to get on top of it now so I have some antibiotics I have to do a sputum test asap and depending on the type of infection they might be changed.Two weeks today I see the physios so hopefully theres light at the end of the tunnel.OH and if bloods that the chest man asked for show infection he will either ring her or me.Mig
  • dibdab
    Options
    Glad the GP is on the case, the antibiotics should sort you. When I get the big antibiotics I sometimes get a dodgy tummy, they kill off the good flora in your gut as well as the infection. If it affects you too you could try eating a bio live yoghurt each day which will help to replace the 'good' bugs that your tummy needs to digest food effectively.

Deb x
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Does that actually work? I used to do it but then someone told me it's pointless as the antibios will negate them on arrival and the way to go is to finish the course and then take the probiotics.
    Steven Wright
  • dibdab
    Options
    Not sure of the science, but it seems to help me, and on the whole " it does no harm and might help" theme I give it a try! I seem to remember it was a practise nurse who once suggested it to me. I'm not a great lover of yoghurt, but it seems more palatable when poured over fresh fruit with a teaspoon full of decent granola......you can barely taste it.

Deb x
  • mig
    Options
    That sounds quite palatable ,I don't do milk in or on anything or cream ,custard and hard cheeses is all I do but i might try that,but when I was sick that was my own fault for taking the antibios on empty stomach,fine now,Im still coughing but the pheglm doesn't sound quite so bad.Mig