Trapeziectomy next stage after 16 days !

Options
Scampdog
Scampdog Member Posts: 43
edited 9. Sep 2016, 07:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
just got back from the hospital, cast/soft dressing off without any hassle what a relief for my thumb rubbed sore by cast at the knuckle, I was told I has dissolvable sticthes they were not so bit painful getting them out but all in all just lovely to feel air on the skin....told I was healing well, next stage is a hard plastic splint with Velcro that is formed to fit your hand, it is quite warm when the plastic it put around the arm then it hardens and they trim it and add Velcro for fastenings, only goes around the inside and around thumb, they put a tubigrip around the arm so much lighter and neater than a cast and bandage...
this contraption stays on for another two weeks then I go back again for something else ? not sure what yet ?
I have to take this off in a week myself as they had to take stiches out they put a dressing over the wounds so to save going back to see them I can take the dressings off myself, as long as I can get this gizmo back on no problem...
at least next time I go she said I can take whatever I am given off sometimes ...getting there slowly....
strange but when I had a bare hand my thumb felt like it didn't belong to me it did not want to move at all, even thouth the fingers felt great...

Comments

• Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good to hear you've got your splint on. I'm hoping that will be me next Tuesday. My cast, with it's gauzy over-bandage, is looking quite tatty! Have you got any exercises to do yet? And can you take the splint and tubigrip off to have a shower?

Meg
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I've not had a trapeziectomy but oh that air on the skin feeling. Isn't it wonderful :deckchair:

I used to have those hard plastic splints that mould to your shape on my legs before my TKRs.

The trapezium is at the base of the thumb so, presumably, muscles and nerves to it will, at least, have had to be pushed to one side and possibly cut. Hence, the thumb won't feel as if it belongs to you whereas the fingers have merely been idle for a time. Hence, also, the long rehab period of physio to get it all working again.

You've done very well so far, scampdog. Keep up the good work :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Scampdog
    Options
    Thanks Sticky for your encouragement Xxxx.....poor little thumb is being rubbed again I think by hard splint or could be in my head ?....I have to take the dressings off on Friday not sure how to manage this with one hand so may have to go to local clinic ? don't really trust my oh as he has hands like dinner plates and is not the most gentle soul bless him !!....keep getting a sort of stinging hot pain from time to time in base of thumb, not much buts its there !...
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm sorry, I can't help re the pain as I've never had a trapeziectomy. I hope it disappears with the dressing.

I understand your reluctance to let your O do the honours. Mr SW is brilliant in very many ways but he's he's more for efficiency than gentleness. Whatever the method, I hope it goes well.
    Steven Wright
  • Scampdog
    Options
    Well I have been to the local clinic today to have my dressings removed and got a nasty surprise !, must admit though it was not unexpected when I had the stitches out last week they had problems however there was one on the site of the tendon removal that I was told was not a stitch and was left !!, I was not convinced I was right today it had to be "dug out" to put it nicely OWWWWW ....so now I have fresh dressings on as both started bleeding again, I did not expect this the hard plastic splint is very unforgiving on a sore wound....my poor rubbed thumb has also been taped by the nurse today as she said it looked red raw !!, one week and a bit to go before the next stage !....
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Ouch, that sounds so painful. I hope that things begin to settle down for you now and the wound has a chance to heal properly. And your poor thumb! As if the wound is not enough to cope with!

My dressing will come off on Friday, so I'll begin the oil massages then and see how I go. The thumb exercises every hour are certainly one way of passing the time! :)

Take care.
    Meg
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ouch! Thank goodness you didn't opt to remove it yourself or let your OH do so. I don't think that would have done much for your relationship :lol: How's it all feeling today?
    Steven Wright
  • Scampdog
    Options
    Very sore today !, not sure what is hurting more where the stitch was goughed out or the taped thumb or the fact my hand seems to have swollen ? probably because of the trauma of yesterday !, I have had to loosen the Velcro strappings will see what happens ....on the bright side I can still move my fingers Xx
  • stickywicket
    Options
    My guess would be a combination of all those things plus the stress. I hope things will start to improve now for you.
    Steven Wright