Crikey !

Options
GraceB
GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
edited 8. Sep 2016, 16:02 in Living with Arthritis archive
Saw a GP at my doctor's surgery this morning to ask for left TKR referral. To my utter astonishment, I came out of that consultation clutching paperwork for an NHS Choose & Book clinic appointment at my local hospital with an Orthopaedic Consultant for 23rd September at 2.15pm. :o Stunned. :!:

GP said the fact I'd lost weight and recently had some (yet again failed) physio on the knee this meant I didn't have to undergo these steps first. He booked the appointment online and asked was that date and time convenient?

Since the appointment this morning my knee (which obviously overheard the conversation :roll: ) has got the hump in that it's been blooming painful all flipping day!

Here in this part of the UK it's the "18 week referral to treatment pathway". I've worked out this should be roughly middle of January for the op which suits me down to the ground. There's no way I can face having this done before Christmas. It's going to be hard enough as it is.

I think I'll have to attend a "joint school/session". Having already had my right knee partly replaced I'm not sure what I can learn, but will have to attend as without going to the "joint school" there's no op. But I may be able to help others there and naturally I'll be extolling the virtues of this wonderful forum.

Now folks - I'll want some tips for "coping on your own after a TKR op" please. I do internet shopping so that's covered, and I'll get some meals pre-cooked and frozen. I'll get sufficient cash out of the hole-in-the-wall. Friends have already offered to help with a variety of tasks, as have neighbours. One friend has said she'll be able (all being well) to stay with me the first couple of nights I'm home after the op. I think I'll be asking colleagues and friends for DVD's to watch and books to read.

Please let me know if I should put anything else on the list. Thanks.

GraceB
Turn a negative into a positive!

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Cant help with tips as I've never had any sort of surgery but I wish you so much luck with this you deserve it. Mig
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Grace
    I'm a "hippie" so know nothing about TKR just THR's.
    Good luck with it and I'm sure there will be plenty come on to give you advice although you seem to have it sorted.
    You know how quiet the weekends are on the forum

Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I'm so pleased you have an appointment with the orthopaedic consultant and I do hope that will result in a new knee. I was, frankly, amazed that you stuck with your weight loss regime despite the traumas you were going through and clearly your GP was very impressed too.

I'd guess any targets set for ops will be pushed back by the junior docs' strikes so best not fine tune things too much.

I've been lucky enough to have Mr SW around after all my ops. You seem to have most points covered. In the early days I just move between reading, radio,TV and computer games. I just find it essential to keep my mind occupied and not thinking too much as, if left to its own devices, it will only think PAIN :lol:

Good luck, Grace.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies.

Sticky - I'm a stubborn individual, but I appreciate your kind words re my weight loss journey. This year, that has been the one thing in my life I have had some control over.

There is no way I can face surgery before Christmas, not with everything else that's happened this year. With the op potentially being New Year that will give me a bit more time to get things organised. I feel a "to-do" list is needed ...

GraceB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    GraceB wrote:
    Sticky - I'm a stubborn individual, but I appreciate your kind words re my weight loss journey. This year, that has been the one thing in my life I have had some control over.

I hadn't thought of it that way. It does make sense but doesn't lessen your courage.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hey Grace pop on over to 'The Book Club' and see if any of the books that have been reviewed take your fancy as reading matter as you recover from your op, we are happy to help!! A lot of sorting has to take place pre-op so your recovery can be as smooth as possible! I'm lucky I have a good OH who takes good care of me.
  • Sars4185
    Sars4185 Member Posts: 34
    Options
    Thats great news and so quick ! Best of luck . It seems you have things organised and have friends round to help you .Dvds and things to occupy your mind are a must.
    Sara
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello Grace I remember this well when I was referred for my first THR..total shock....we had the joint replacement school very helpful it was ..we will all be here to support you..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • GraceB
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I'll also get a couple of puzzle books in as I do like my criss-cross.

I had to smile yesterday. Got home from work to find the postman had been. Envelope with the local hospital's trust logo on it. Opened it and found two letters. One to say my clinic appt 23rd Sept had been cancelled due to "unforeseen circumstances" (down here that usually means the consultant is on holiday!); the second giving me an appt 7th Oct. So, although there's a slight delay it's not too bad. Just got to hope now that this new date doesn't clash with a Doctor's strike. Must keep my fingers crossed.

GraceB