First rheumatology appointment mixed feelings

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 9. Sep 2016, 07:36 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well...,
I saw a consultant who took a history and examined me. She doesn't think it's Polymylegia Rheumatica as I don't have any hip or groin pain and everything seems to be centered around my neck. She would normally prescibe a weeks course of steroids to confim the diagnosis but doesn't want to do this in my case due to the fact I already have stomach damage.

She sent me for loads of blood tests, including inflammatory markers and then I see her again this Friday (!) to get the results. If the markers are still high she will consider a weeks trial of steroids to see if I can tolerate them.

So, pocket duties for Friday please, very mixed emotions at present as while I don't want to have another serious problem, the thought of something that could/can be treated and so might reduce the pain in my arms, from shoulder through to fingers was something I was holding onto if you get my drift.

So a good start to the new term, I will go in first and then leave at 11, the appointment is at 12, but I will not go back to school after, however it goes I don't think I will be in the right place.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    A mixed bag then, but at least there's someone on the case trying to find a way forward. Hope you get answers on Friday, in the meantime try to be gentle with yourself....... as I discovered when I took early retirement work will still be there whatever we decide or do. You are way too important to let the job hinder your health and well being.

Take care.

Deb x
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    I'll be there on Friday, Slosh. I hope the blood tests show the cause of your pain and you are able to get the help you need.

It's a sensible decision to go home after the appointment. It's important that you're kind to yourself. Take care.

Meg
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thanks both.
    I have informed work about Friday. I don't know if it is usual to have such a quick follow up or if it's because of the Jr Doctor's strike next week?
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Count me in on Friday..yes its a mixed bag but fingers crossed the bloods show all is well..good luck..
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I will be there and hope its good news.(()) Mig
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    Count me in for Friday.I hope you get answers that will help you.
    NB xx
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    I've never heard of such a quick follow up but my rheumatology clinic is very busy and considers a 6 week wait to be an "emergency" appointment.

I hope it goes well. I shall be sitting your pocket again, of course.

I think it's a good call to take the rest of the day off, you need time to unwind and take it all in.
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you all, I really don't know what I want to hear on Friday but I have a feeling the bloods will be clear so I'll just have to live with my "textbook" cervical spondylosis symptoms. Sorry, just feeling a bit down
    Julian of Norwich
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Firstly, I'll be there for pocket duties. I hope that you get as good a set of results as is possible.

And yes, I agree with the others, very sensible not to try to get back to work afterwards. (Mind you, if your hospital is anything like ours, by the time you've got finished at the hospital it may not be worth going back to work in any event).

Please let us know how you get on.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • Slosh
    Options
    I will do, I actually got called in on time today, and my last two orths appointments were also pretty close to time.

I recently sold some vintage dresses to a local shop, partly for cash and partly for a £70 voucher, decided I may well use it Friday for some retail therapy.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    She's being thorough, Slosh, and sometimes that's all we can ask. The waiting game is often the hardest, though. I'll be there on Friday.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Count me in for Friday!! Hope it goes well .
  • Slosh
    Options
    I am glad she is being thorough and that it's not long to wait until I get the results
    Julian of Norwich
  • Slosh
    Options
    Got a letter today from the consultant I saw Monday about the appointment. No test results and she thinks it is probably Complex Pain Syndrome. Will find out tomorrow but if it is this I will ask about getting referred to the pain clinic.
    Julian of Norwich
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I'm not sure I'd ever heard of this until the other day. I think one of our Paralympic athletes has it. (Who knows, Slosh? Maybe that could be you 4 years hence :wink: ) Seriously, I think a Pain Clinic is a good idea.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright