back from hols, playing the waiting game

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 7. Sep 2016, 06:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I am back from sunny Spain. It was a lovely place to stay and I enjoyed the sunshine. I had a few days where I struggled with pain and had to take to my bad (not a sunbed!!) as couldn`t mobilise. My painkillers help a little but not enough really. We didn`t do a lot, just a couple of days out.
I am having a lot of pain in my back and down my legs. I rang the Neuro surgeon`s sec today to see if there is any news re a date for my fusion surgery. She scared me at first by saying `ooh have you not been told yet?` as though it had been arranged! Then looked online and said my neuro wants a Vascular surgeon in theatre and my case will be discussed at a multi disciplinary meeting on Thursday. So I have to wait for her to ring me after that.
I am feeling quite nervous at the thought of spinal surgery. I think having my holiday made me think it was ages away but now it feels more real!!
I have just been to my endocrine clinic appointment for check up, my bloods are a bit elevated so had to have more done.

Feet up now. I am trying to go back to work tomorrow. Although not sure how much I will be able to do?!
NB

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello NB..glad you enjoyed the days you had out, but holiday do take it out of you ..especially with back problems...I do hope you dont have long to wait, going off people I have spoke to fusions are the way to go..will have everything crossed for you..I am still on the fence, but suppose my mind will be made up soon xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi Barbara
    Thanks for your reply.
    I wish that I could put off the surgery, or find an alternative but I am finding so many simple daily things hard or in some cases impossible without help Mr NB is great, but there are somethings I am not ready to let him do for me . The only reason I would consider surgery is in the hope and belief that it will make my life better and pain less. So I will live in hope!
    Hope you are coping ok xx
    NB
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    I wonder if the seats you were using on holiday weren't as supportive as the ones you usually use when at home? I could be way off-beam but the thought struck me so I thought I'd mention it.

I hope you get your surgery date soon. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you'll have a positive outcome from your surgery when you've recovered from the op itself and the post-op physio gets you moving again. Please keep us up to date.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I hope work goes OK if you make it. I'm not sure I think it's in your own best interests but you have every right to live your life as you wish and, if that means work plus surgery then go for it and I hope all will be well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Grace- yes maybe the seats there did not help. I did miss my `special` support cushion but it was too heavy to take!

Sticky, I know that work is not the most important thing. But I feel this time it is my last try, and if after my spinal surgery , things are still too difficult re work I will probably try for ill health retirement. I know that it is very difficult to get and that as I am due surgery which may (hopefully) help me to manage better, they would probably not authorise it until the outcome of the surgery is clear. I have more going on than just the back so I have been told not to expect miracles. I will see how things go, but if I really cannot cope I will hold my hands up! Yesterday was hard, especially in the morning as this time is what I find hardest and most painful. I have asked my manager if I can work for home first thing in the morning to allow my medication to kick in and me to be able to move about a bit. She is ok with that, but my new boss starts next week, so I will see how she is with things.
    Busier work day today, so hope I do ok.
    Thanks for your support x
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    Options
    I hope so too. And I also hope the new boss proves sympathetic.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright