3 months post XLIF L4-L5 and the pain has returned

Options
WyleECoyote
WyleECoyote Member Posts: 38
edited 3. Apr 2017, 19:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I had an XLIF 3 months ago on L4-L5 and it's really improved the pain I used to experience standing and walking. But in terms of nighttime pain that has slowly returned back to previous levels since the procedure. It doesn't hurt in some places where it used to but my sacroiliac joints in particular are pretty agonising after I lie down for about 5 minutes.

My surgeon has suggested injections in those joins to see how they respond with a view to potential SI fusion. I'm wondering how many of you out there underwent SI fusion after lumbar fusion because pain was not resolved?

Comments

• nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I will watch your post with interest as I am waiting for ALIF surgery L4/5. I am in lots of pain, especially when sitting and lying and my SI joints have recently become very painful and stiff especially the left side. I have had SI injections in the past with no help.
    I am glad your surgery has been successful for some part, and hope there is someone who has some advice for you re SI fusion.
    NB
  • WyleECoyote
    Options
    Hi
    I will watch your post with interest as I am waiting for ALIF surgery L4/5. I am in lots of pain, especially when sitting and lying and my SI joints have recently become very painful and stiff especially the left side. I have had SI injections in the past with no help.
    I am glad your surgery has been successful for some part, and hope there is someone who has some advice for you re SI fusion.
    NB

Thanks NB! Have you considered XLIF instead of ALIF? It's supposed to be a much lighter recovery but not all surgeons have experience in it and you don't want to be one of their fist.

I'm due for my first SI Joint Fusion in just under two weeks. Then i'lol have to wait a bit for the second op I guess.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi Wylecoyote
    Too late! I had my ALIF 4 weeks ago now. And yes it is hard going afterwards. My abdominal wound and area are improving now, but I am still having back pain if I stand or sit up right for any length of time. I am finding it difficult to get the balance right with rest and exercise.
    How are you finding things now?
    NB
  • WyleECoyote
    Options
    Hi Wylecoyote
    Too late! I had my ALIF 4 weeks ago now. And yes it is hard going afterwards. My abdominal wound and area are improving now, but I am still having back pain if I stand or sit up right for any length of time. I am finding it difficult to get the balance right with rest and exercise.
    How are you finding things now?
    NB

How are you doing now? The XLIF profoundly reduced my daytime pain (standing, walking, sitting) but my nighttime pain is still pretty challenging. I'm managing it though and with the amount of surgery I've been through I strongly feel I need a couple of years to let everything settle. I can still feel things changing every now and then - changes in pain locations and different sensations than what I am used to. I'm also taking fewer pain killers than before which is very nice. I just hope things keep going in the right direction.