Why is driving so hard?

Options
Rach101
Rach101 Member Posts: 165
edited 11. Sep 2016, 16:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Since ive had arthritis ive barely driven at all due to the pain in my hands but ive been trying to drive more over the past few weeks so i can get out more! Yesterday i went for a 40 min drive to my sisters house, i rested while there and then drove back. My body was exhausted when I got home and this morning I'm in so much pain I dont know what to do wity myself. I was the same after a 30 min drive last week, the next day was unbearavle.

Does anybody else have the same problem? I dont understand it as i dont get this much pain from walking or any other activity. How can i prevent it?

Thanks

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,716
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm not sure you can prevent it. Driving involves so much of our bodies – virtually every joint plus the muscles, plus the concentration.

I gave up when my younger son went to university because I no longer needed to drive every day and not driving every day meant that my 'driving muscles' went into hibernation so, like you, when I did drive there was always payback. For me, at my time of life, it was cheaper to get taxis.

Your muscles will be in far better nick than mine but, at the time, my RA was well controlled so I guess I had the edge there.

I'd suggest, as with many things, little and often. 30 mins might seem little enough to you but, to arthritis, it's quite a lot. Get yourself in a better place first then start with 5-10 minutes, see how that goes and gradually build up but, if you've to miss a day or two, go back a bit in terms of how much driving you do afterwards and good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • rayray
    rayray Member Posts: 115
    Options
    I have had to all but give up driving as even sitting is very painful indeed (neck problem). We have however bought a steering wheel ball which makes moving the steering wheel much easier and so reduces the physical effort. It was less than £20 and really effective. I told my insurance company and there was no extra premium.

I hope this may help.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I had 2 hip replacements, problems with the 2nd one and ended up on crutches I wont bore you with the details, most people know them :lol: but discovered that I could drive better than I could walk
    OK for almost 3 years then my knee started giving way and I saw the consultant and hey presto ........Arthritis in both knees as well. I didn't drive for a while, then I\ started driving but when I tried about 25mins then and break and coffee and then home I was in agony. I stopped again. Now I just drive about 15 mins....no longer......and not every day and hopefully I will get more used to driving ....or so I thought until I went to the consultants last week and was told that my right leg was bone on bone and I needed a replacement knee.
    I tried 15 mins today and it was easier to drive than to walk so until 18th November when I get my replacement I will just drive short journeys now and then {like today} then obviously I will have to stop for a certain length of time after the replacement.

I'm going to have to ask for advice about that.
    2 Hip replacements so I know all the do's and dont's but know nothing about a knee replacement
    Anyway sorry that's not much help just my experiences
    Love
    Hileena