Chronic pain+weather study

Options
TheLordFlasheart
TheLordFlasheart Member Posts: 302
edited 17. Sep 2016, 12:20 in Community Chit-chat archive
Seems the old wives tale that wet weather makes chronic pain worse is looking to be true:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/bad-news-you-live-manchester-11855469

Early days yet, but looks promising (I know from living in wet/damp Derbyshire)
"Stoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I think one or two people on here signed up to it.

I guess these things have to be proven but my RA has always disliked heat more than cold. However, it's a fact that feeling low or depressed makes people's perception of pain to be worse so it's hardly surprising if miserable weather induces misery :lol:

I think humidity is a key of sorts.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Not sure about the wet weather but this very humid weather has really made my joints painful..suppose humidity is not far off wet...
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I've been on the reporting end of symptoms, I decided not to look up the results so it wouldn't affect my judgement and therefore what I reported, so I haven't scutinised my own feedback yet.

Always an enquiring mind, I had thought the effect of bad weather was down to air pressure in the joints, changing with the lows and highs passing through our airspace.

We wait and see.
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Personally I'm not at all surprised by the initial findings. My OA reacts to: wet or cold weather; heat; and humidity. Mind you, strong winds don't seem to affect me! :lol:

I can usually accurately predict wet weather. In my family we used to rely on my late Dad's bunions and then his arthritis (no seaweed for us!). Now the family look to me for weather forecasts ... :roll:

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Yes my Mum used to tap the old barometer to confirm her OA pain :wink:

Very interesting to see the outcome I think.
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    well my oa certainly reacts to the weather and I am certainly affected by damp wet weather or very cold weather. so I am not surprised :)
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Of course there's truth in it: millions of patients worldwide cannot be wrong but docs always prefer to think we're over-egging the pudding, usually because they don't have any form of the malarkey. My PsA dislikes the heat and my OA the damp and cold so I win all year round. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben