Happy Hippy Birthday

Options
newhipandy
newhipandy Member Posts: 60
edited 12. Sep 2016, 06:47 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am just popping in to say that tomorrow it will be a year since my right hip replacement. I well remember how nervous I was feeling this time last year, but I also had a sense of anticipation that things would be better afterwards. And I am pleased to say that things are indeed better and I have no regrets whatsoever about having the procedure. For anyone else who is awaiting surgery I would reassure that the whole process is not as bad as you might fear .. I think we are all afraid of the unknown. I would say however that it has taken me a long time to get back to normal mobility, balance and strength overall. I have had some issues with low left-sided back pain and I have recently started going to the Chiropractor. He says that because there is a disparity in my leg length there is extra strain on the left side, and I certainly feel that his adjustments are helping. However, the cost of this is prohibitive and I will not be able to go too many more times. I have been helped by very good staff in our local gym, who are happy to produce a tailored exercise programme, but I do find that if I overdo the stretches, I will pay for that with discomfort in my back afterwards, it seems a sensitive balance to keep everything working right! I am fortunate that I was quite fit before surgery, the arthritis in the other hip is not nearly as bad, and I feel very blessed to be able to get out and mobilise when I can fit some exercise around work and home. Stability and rotation of the new hip is excellent. I rarely think of it as a new part of me any more, and the only time I really notice it is if I sit on a hard surface. I have set off the X ray machines at the airport a couple of times though the security people look totally disinterested when I say it is probably my hip! I hope this summary is helpful to anyone about to undergo THR and I am always happy to answer specific questions. With regards to all. Andrea. :D

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Happy birthday indeed and congratulations, I think, for making such a good fist of it all. You worked hard for your success.

Yes, leg length discrepancy can be a problem afterwards but I see you are dealing, as best you can, with that,too.

I hope you stay as fit as possible for as long as possible :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Happy Birthday Andy to your Baby hip

p022.gif

I am so glad you have no regrets :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I'm glad it went well and its great to share about your positive experiences.

Funnily enough I can also feel my new hip when I sit down. You are the only person who's ever mentioned it, so glad its not just me imagining things!

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein