Not been having a great time

Options
scozzie
scozzie Member Posts: 333
edited 18. Sep 2016, 05:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

I've not been having a great time of things lately.

I had a very painful knee for most of May, and it turned out I had ten the cartilage in it, but it's healed now, just the usual OA pain to deal with and I'm used to that.

At the end of May I thought I had torn a muscle in my right shoulder whilst putting a day pack on (a small backpack). By then we were on holidays in Croatia and I'm a big camera buff, so took most of my camera gear in a sling type back pack that strung across the same shoulder, although I didn't carry the full gear often due to the discomfort ... well two weeks ago it was still painful so I visited the doc (I did try a couple of times earlier, but couldn't get in) ... turns out I have a frozen shoulder -- a diagnosis which has only one saving grace compared to OA -- it'll sort itself in a couple of years! I hate it!

During all this I did something utterly stupid, I played football with my 8yo grandson, who thinks he's Ronaldo. Anyway I usually just keep goal, but I went for a little run and slipped on the sand covered AstroTurf, I don't recommend it. As I lay on the ground, supported by my forearms and knees, another boy asked if I was ok and if that was my blood on the ground? I had skinned one elbow and torn my trousers at the knee, after I got up I took a peek at my knee, that's where the blood started ... and I turned to my grandson and we've got to go as I need to go to the hospital. And for first time ever he didn't argue. As I was limping back to the road I phoned my wife to come and get me and to bring a towel and a spare of trousers cos I needed to go to hospital.

After several X-Rays to check for fractures of my knee and elbow, and irrigated the wound (it was deep), which the most painful part of things, saline can be very cold, they stitched my knee together (seven stitches in all plus several sterrar strips), and bandaged from mid thigh to toes. I was handed a pair crutches and told not to put any weight on that foot, and my weakest leg had to support me through this, and a great job it did too.

All in I was off work for almost four weeks, with three weeks of sponge washes (goodness how I missed having a shower). During the day I basically live on one couch with my leg supported by cushions raised on a dining chair. Getting to the toilet was fun, as its upstairs, sitting on my bum pushing myself up using my arms and one leg ... made me appreciate what DD has to do ... lol.

Anyway, apart from all the OA aches and pains, and a frozen shoulder I'm doing well.

Here's hoping you're all having a less interesting time :wink: , and pain free too.

Scozzie

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's a real horror story, scozzie. I remember the shoulder problem but the knee.... :shock: :shock:

I hope the 'mendable' bits of you are on the mend now. I never did like astroturf :mrgreen:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Wow! Never thought AstroTurf was that dangerous!! Sometimes we forget we are adults and like a little fun and sometimes we get a nasty reminder! Hope your back to living with OA and no extra's to add on the list!!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Gosh Scozzie!!

You've had a really rough time!!

I promise faithfully never to play football on any astro-turf!!

Take it steady now ((()))

Toni xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I don't see the point in doing anything half-heartedly, Scozzie, so 10/10 from me for making a proper job of things. :D Seriously mate, I am so sorry to read of your 'adventures' :( and I hope that things improve sooner rather than later. Make sure you do all the proper things to help that process along. Thank you for the namecheck - making my life easier cost him a fortune but I'm worth it. :wink:

It can be very tempting to return to our 'old' lives and sometimes we try, usually through what I choose to regard as blind optimism rather than blind stupidity. We've all done it, and will probably do it again because that's what we do because we are human. I wish you well, take care and mend as best you can. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • scozzie
    scozzie Member Posts: 333
    Options
    Thanks all, my knee's healing up nicely with a big thank you to the NHS for their work on it. The arthritis is what is, as we all know, lol. And I'm trying to adjust to the frozen shoulder ... not as easy as with OA, but at least it will disappear at some stage in the future, I just hope it's sooner rather than later ... lol!
    Scozzie
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Me, too, scozzie but I wouldn't hold my breath on it being quick. At least it doesn't take up permanent residence though, unlike arthritis :D
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright