pocket duties please-date for spinal fusion

Options
nearlybionic
nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
edited 21. Sep 2016, 05:34 in Living with Arthritis archive
HI
I have been told that I am to have my ALIF anterior lumbar spinal fusion surgery on 4th October. I am quite shocked that it has been listed so soon , as I was told 3-4 months wait. I am going to be sent for, for my pre op assessment.
I am feeling really anxious about this surgery, although I have had major surgery before, spinal surgery scares me silly!! :shock:
I have been in work today, my 2nd week back after sickness. It was my new boss`s first day today and I landed her with this!! She was really good about it and said it will be ok. I am going to have to sort things at work for other people to cover, as I don`t really know how long I will be off for?
Although I am a bit stunned and scared about the op, and know I can`t carry on like this. I dread going to bed as being in bed causes so much pain and stiffness. I have been wandering about in the night trying bed, recliner, sofa ....etc.. so in all not much sleep! :roll:
If anyone has any tips for what I will need after this surgery or things to expect I would be very grateful.
Thanks
NB

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh Nearly!!

I have had the very same op as well as removal of a fracture. If it helps they gave me notice on the Friday of the op on the Monday.

You will be fine I am sure.

Ask for the morphine pump for the first 24 hours that's my advice. Eat fruit and drink plenty. Take simple easy things to read/listen to you won't be able to concentrate.

They had me up within 24 hours no walking aids. (I was young then pre-arthritis days). Physio thereafter. If you have stairs at home you will need to 'do' them before you get home.

The only 'complication' I had was temporary 'new' numbness in my bum (ladies bits :shock: ) etc, but this really WAS temporary and just because nerves get irritated by the surgery,

I also struggled to 'wee' straight away so happily elected to have a catheter, which had the added advantage of no need to keep getting up for the loo :)

Best piece of advice I ever had was then: keep ahead of the pain. Take your pain killers regularly for the first WEEKS at least before trying to wean off them back down to 'normal 'levels for you.

I was back at work in 9 weeks, but still suffering a lot of pain. I had to because I was then a single parent with a 5 and 8 year-old.

To be honest I think it took me about 6 months to feel glad I had the operation.

Now I am really glad I did.

Take care of yourself NB I will be with you :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    No tips at all but I wish you all the luck in the world.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello NB so glad that Toni could help with some advice..and I do wish you well, like you say you cant go on like you are..I think the very thought of spinal surgery make people more scared(me included) then any other op..we will all be here to support you..x
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Good luck NB. Mig
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thank you all for your lovely replies xx
    Toni- your message is really good, thanks. I will keep your tips in mind. It is great to hear that your op was successful, this is my worry.
    Thanks Mig, Sticky and Barbara- your support is much appreciated.
    Sharon- thanks, I will have a look on the site.

I have had a very bad day today at work, and I am now paying for it. My painkillers are not touching my pain. My new manager seems to understand chronic conditions and is very empathetic. So hopefully she will be supportive whilst I am off. I am still waiting for a pre op date?? I am really glad it is my day off tomorrow!
    Take care x
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options
    I hope tomorrow provides the respite you need, NB. Great news about your new manager, though.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Firstly good news you've got a date for the op, I hope it goes well.

And, as has already been said, it's great that your Line Manager has some empathy and is understanding.

Take care,
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi NB
    I'm sorry, I was so sure I had answered this post from you
    Of course I'll be there for pocket duties
    Take care pet

Love
    Hileena
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Take it as steady as you can today Nearly and rest up hopefully you will get to your operation date sooner than you think :)

You will do just fine I am sure of it ((()))

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm glad you got a date for your operation, I think all of us get nervous when we know we have a date for an operation! Of course I will be in your pocket dear, I think Toni has given you good advice all I can suggest is having someone home to help you. I have a great next door neighbour who was just a text away after I had my bunion operation which is nothing compared to what you are having done!! Glad your new boss is an understanding boss it always helps! Take care. xx
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks, Bubbadog, Sticky, Hileena, Grace and Toni for your messages.

I have decided to throw a surprise 50th birthday party for Mr NB the Saturday before my op. It is his birthday later in the month and I won`t be able to do anything then, so am organising a smallish party at home. All our friends and family have offered to help with cooking, shopping, decoration the house. My job is to keep it a secret and get him out of the house whilst they set it all up! I know it is a bit short notice, and a lot to think about just before my op, but he does so much for me, and will be again, and it will take my mind off the op! Only thing is I will have to trick him into cleaning the house etc that day, for his own party! :lol:
    I have just had a haircut, and feel better for it. I am in agony now though!
    Anyway the sun is shining so it always makes me feel better 8)
    Take care
    NB
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Great plan NB!!

he will love it :) You will have a good memory to think about too :)

Just thought (your hair looks lovely BTW!) you can get 'dry shampoos' and s special one which 'washes' your hair and you towel it dry for post op.

Hileena!! What's that stuff called? I can't remember :?

Love

Toni xxx
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    Sorry that I've just got round to seeing your post, NB. I'll be happily in your pocket on the day and I hope that things go well for you.

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I send apologies for not replying before, NB, I have been away.

That is swift, isn't it? Count me in for any pocket duties both before and after: spinal surgery is in a league of its own so no wonder you are apprehensive. I know I would be. ((( ))) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • nearlybionic
    Options
    HI
    thanks Toni, Megan and DD. Sorry in the delay in replying but I have had a rough couple of days.
    On Monday I had a hard day with pain at work and when I got home I told Mr NB I am off to bed (5pm) But half way up the stairs my back locked, awful pain and couldn`t move at all. It took half an hour to walk up the remaining 4 stairs and into the nearest bedroom. I eventually got onto the bed and took some diazepam. I have spent 2 days in bed now, as sitting is bad for pain, I can get relatively comfy propped up in bed. And now to top it off I have a UTI!! so off for antibiotics today :roll:
    I am trying not to think about the op, and focussing on the party planning.
    I hope you are all doing ok xx
    NB
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello NB..sorry I missed this bit about the surprise birthday for your OH..how lovely and anything to take your mind off things..I am sure your hubby will be so thrilled..
    It wont be long and I am so glad that Toni is helping you out with some advice..you helped me loads when I was having my first THR...x
    Love
    Barbara