Thoracic outlet syndrome

stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
edited 19. Sep 2016, 10:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
I'd never heard of it. But, if you have neck pain and tingling / numbness down your arm, it might be worth checking it out.

My son started with these symptoms and his GP (USA) diagnosed osteophytes (bony growth) in his shoulders. This is USA. You pay a lot of good money when you see a health professional so, as the equally expensive steroids didn't help, he went to a sports masseur who diagnosed this.

It's an extra rib growing up at the top. It's something you're born with but which doesn't usually make its presence felt until mid-life.

I'd never heard of it and, apparently, according to NHS Choices, it doesn't always show up on MRIs or x-rays.

But, it might be worth knowing about for anyone with this type of pain. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cervical-rib/Pages/Introduction.aspx
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    This is very interesting SW..I think I have heard a few people on here with similar symptoms , just goes to show..I hope your son is doing ok
    Love
    Barbara
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Fascinating ,the human body is a complex thing. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    I've never heard of this, I apologise for saying that it sounds interesting because I am sure that, as his mum, you are a little bothered about it all.

I know that bones keep renewing throughout life (at least I think they do) but to grow a 'proper' new one? That's a novelty to me. I've grown extra bony bits on my knees but that's my body's attempt to help itself. :roll:

I hope your son will be OK, to be poorly in the USA is not a great thing - thank whoever for the NHS, Labour's greatest creation. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    I'd never heard of it. But, if you have neck pain and tingling / numbness down your arm, it might be worth checking it out.

My son started with these symptoms and his GP (USA) diagnosed osteophytes (bony growth) in his shoulders. This is USA. You pay a lot of good money when you see a health professional so, as the equally expensive steroids didn't help, he went to a sports masseur who diagnosed this.

It's an extra rib growing up at the top. It's something you're born with but which doesn't usually make its presence felt until mid-life.

I'd never heard of it and, apparently, according to NHS Choices, it doesn't always show up on MRIs or x-rays.

But, it might be worth knowing about for anyone with this type of pain. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cervical-rib/Pages/Introduction.aspx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,709
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I hope your son will be OK, to be poorly in the USA is not a great thing - thank whoever for the NHS, Labour's greatest creation. DD

He's doing the exercises and is now back to sleeping in the bed instead of kneeling at the side with his head on the pillow :o

He gained his US citizenship in March but one can only sign up for Obamacare in January of each year. God bless America :roll:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright