Very annoyed and saddened

Options
18amandah
18amandah Member Posts: 34
edited 17. Sep 2016, 12:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello 7 Goodmorning. I am a carer for my Husband, & we both have Arthritis. I had a hip replacement last year. Sadly its has not worked as I had no choice but to get back on my feet sooner and the local Surrey social services were not going to let my Husband have any more care. Ok in a nutshell I know that I might need my left hip doing & both my knees. But according to the Main news last night it appears that the NHS are now saying that they will not be doing replacements. So we will end up in a wheelchair each. I wonder if they do double wheelchairs. !! I feel very anxious as I suffer from stress, not sleeping properly at all. My Husband is also deaf & severely sighted. And last week we had a break as we went away to a hotel. I would love to have another break soon. But that is not possible. regards Amandah

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Ammandah
    I have not seen any news about this. I will look into it and update you. Can you say which new programme it was on please
    Best Wishes
    Sharon
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    I think you might have misunderstood the joint replacement thing, Amandah. Certainly they are postponing these operations and any other elective surgery throughout the country owing to lack of funding. The junior doctors' strikes will also impact on waiting lists.

Personally I am currently angry about the situation of an old man I know. A former nurse who also did lots of voluntary work in his spare time and in his retirement, he has been in and out of hospital for the last two years and is now, again, 'bed-blocking' because when he goes into hospital his care package stops and has to be re-started again before he can come out and there are no 'vacancies' with any of the 'Care' agencies. So, basically, he has to wait for someone to die before he can come out of hospital and someone else can go in. It's utterly crazy. And heartless.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Amandah
    I'm sorry about your predicament. I do remember you going in for your THR and how stressed you were.

Like sticky says I think you've misunderstood this bit of news
    Its things like the junior doctors strike that are holding things up. Also lack of funding so that some surgeries are getting postponed.

I consider myself very lucky. I'm due to go in for a knee replacement on the 18th November.

I don't understand why you are being treated so badly........at first if I remember you couldn't get care for your husband while you had your THR and recovered from it......now things don't seem much better

Take care

Love
    Hileena
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Personally I am currently angry about the situation of an old man I know. A former nurse who also did lots of voluntary work in his spare time and in his retirement, he has been in and out of hospital for the last two years and is now, again, 'bed-blocking' because when he goes into hospital his care package stops and has to be re-started again before he can come out and there are no 'vacancies' with any of the 'Care' agencies. So, basically, he has to wait for someone to die before he can come out of hospital and someone else can go in. It's utterly crazy. And heartless.
    And illustrates just why removing the convalescent facilities(cottage hospitals etc)was not only shortsighted but also really bad for the patient who, even when the 'care' package is set up do not receive the level of care needed to prevent the cycle of re-admission and bed-blocking. It's also a shocking waste of money, but of course so long as he remains in hospital it comes out of the NHS budget so there isn't the financial incentive on the Social Services to deal with it.
    It's a stupid, unnecessary, and as you say, heartless state of affairs.It's also the kind of mindset that results in the situation Amanda finds herself in where adequate support, which could help prevent health issues becoming acute or serious, is not provided.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    And illustrates just why removing the convalescent facilities(cottage hospitals etc)was not only shortsighted but also really bad for the patient who, even when the 'care' package is set up do not receive the level of care needed to prevent the cycle of re-admission and bed-blocking.

Yes indeed - a short-term money saver with long-term consequences for us lot!

18amandah please don't worry I was at an orthopaedic hospital on Wednesday when my 18 year old had hip surgery - there were loads of people having their operations as normal ((()))

Love

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    please dont worry Amandah this is the newspapers making headlines again, I am sure if you need the THR it will go ahead..its all down to money but they will get it form somewhere..I do hope you can get the extra help you need..please let us know how you get on..
    Love
    Barbara