Pocket duties again please

Options
Slosh
Slosh Member Posts: 3,194
edited 19. Sep 2016, 06:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
Well I am halfway through the two weeks of steroids that my rheumy consultant prescribed and they have made a difference!
It feels as though one layer of pain has been sliced away, and my elbows are much less painful and tender and best of all it is so much easier to get to sleep. I do keep waking to use the toilet, but get straight back to sleep after, and I have a nasty metallic taste in my mouth but after struggling to get reasonably comfortable in bed every night since April this is wonderful. Still have the same pain elsewhere but I feel so much better in myself.

Next Tuesday morning I go to repeat my blood tests and then I have my next rheumy appointment on Friday morning. As usual pocket duties most welcome, and I just wonder what next? I've never been on steroids before so it's all new to me.
He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
Julian of Norwich

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We shall see shan't we Slosh!

I hope something more long-term will be suggested!

Count me in :)

Love

Toni xx
  • Megrose2
    Megrose2 Member Posts: 331
    Options
    I'll be there, too, Slosh. So pleased to hear that you are able to sleep better. It makes all the difference, doesn't it?

Meg
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You can't beat the 'feel-good' effect of a daily dose of prednisolone. I fondly remember my three years on it; they have a role to play but they are not a long-term answer due to the damage they cause to the whole body. Count me in for your appointments and I hope the rheumatologist has a plan, cunning or otherwise. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Slosh
    Options
    Thank you DD, it's amazing the difference it has made, the other "usual" aches and pains are still there but just loosing this extra one has had a huge impact. It wasn't just that the pain in my elbows kept me awake at night, but as by the evening (if not earlier ) they would get so tender that I couldn't rest them on the arms of my armchair and then that increased the strain and then pain in my shoulders.
    He did not say you will not be storm tossed, you will not be sore distressed, you will not be work weary. He said you will not be overcome.
    Julian of Norwich
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I remember my first dose of 20mgs. I had been in bed for weeks, I was off all my meds after Enbrel tried to explode my liver so my PsA had a rare old time. My rheumatologist prescribed it and assured me I would feel a difference in hours. 'Here goes nothing,' I thought as I swallowed four little tablets. Four hours later I was a different woman. They are gorgeous things because they 'work': my name is DD and I am a pred head. :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    I hope all goes well for you, Slosh, though I've no idea what will constitute 'well' in this situation. The steroids are helping so that is at least good temporary news. A bit of respite can do a lot of good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Slosh
    Options
    It's amazing how phrases such as "Hope it goes well" take on new meanings.

My feeling is that the elbow problem was something separate to my original problem but that it is not polymylegia rheumatica as I still have the rest of the pain as before.

I still can't get over being able to get to sleep so much easier.

It will be interesting to see what she suggests/ diagnoses on Friday...
    Julian of Norwich
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Slosh I am so pleased you are able to get some quality sleep, it makes such a difference..will be thinking about you...
    Love
    Barbara