The Energy Myth

Options
stickywicket
stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
edited 5. Oct 2016, 03:12 in Living with Arthritis archive
Dear Doc,

Please help me. I keep having flashbacks in which I am a young teenager living in the long lost world of Energetica.

These very disturbing visions are worryingly seductive. Even more seductive than steroids. I know they are bad for me but, the more removal boxes I pack / cupboards I clean, stuff I bag up for charity shops or the council tip, the more obsessed I seem to be getting with Energetica. I'm hooked merely on the idea of it. I long to live there just for a few hours; to wake up, like my grandsons, ready to bounce on the bed and anyone in it, and then grab a ball and anyone who might be willing to play with it. Instead, I wake up to John Humphries saying it's time for the weather forecast and realise the clock radio has been on for an hour without my being remotely conscious of it. Plus, I don't bounce.

I know that, here in Arthritica, we are fully aware that energy is an illusion - just a myth put about by the healthy - and, if we attempt to pursue it we are doomed not only to failure but also to live shackled for days to that evil, all-singing, all-dancing, totally meds-resistant pain which constantly yells “Gotcha Sucker! You fell for it yet again.”

I'm not asking for a prescription. I already have more than enough of them. I'd just like to know, once and for all, does energy actually exist or is it a figment of our imaginations? Why is it banned from Arthritica? Where do I catch a bus, train or plane to Energetica? Do I need a passport? And....and I'm sure there was something else.... something.......something really important....that.....I..........er................er....................zzzzzzzz
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I lived in Energetica for 62 years and then for some reason I was I was exiled ,I didn't do anything wrong or I don't think I did,no one will give me any explanation for it,if I had the energy I would offer to help with the packing your Stickyness but bu b zzzZZZ. Mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Is Energetica another name for Utopia? As many of you may be aware indolence has always come easy to me but I recall my youthful days of going for long cycle rides (especially in early summer mornings), long walks with a group of friends, dancing, playing tennis (I preferred doubles because that involved less running about :wink: ) and then feeling pleasantly tired after whichever activity I had done. Now?

I cannot really recall being pleasantly tired because I am usually unpleasantly tired. I am now firmly imprisoned in the world of Arthritica but I know Energetica exists because my husband lives there. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Like Mig I still remember Energetica or something similar..would love to go back ..I think you should be really proud of yourself Sticky....hope the move goes very well for you..
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    The two worlds have just collided. He decided to move two solid pine bookcases upstairs (long story, wont' bore you although I probably am already) so I cleared what was left on the first one. He seized the first in impatience and staggered off: I could hear bumps, scrapes and norty words, especially when he struggled up the stairs. Meanwhile I cleared the second and, because I had some time, I took out the two shelves (also solid pine and somewhat weighty). As a result the case itself was noticeably lighter - I know it was because I moved it out ready for him.

In due course he returned, I explained I 'd removed the shelves and that I would bring those up for him. I was told not to, he picked up the case, noted it was much lighter and got it upstairs with not one expletive. I think he forgets he's getting older and I plan more because I know my ever-shrinking limits.

It may take me longer to do something whereas he aims to get it all done in one move. Twerp. But he's my twerp and I am rather fond of him. DD
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    It's funny - I've had Energetica on my mind for a while. Oldest grandson started at secondary school & sent my mind winging back to schooldays, when worries were few and energy was in abundance.

Later on, I couldn't get enough of playing hockey and tennis, then walking in the mountains - I had ambitions to get some Monroes under my belt. I never envisaged a time when physical activity would become so difficult, and energy be in such short supply.

I do appreciate having been able to do those things for as long as I did, not having RA as my companion until later in life - but yes, it would be nice just to have even a short trip back to Energetica.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh dear! I seem to have caused an epidemic of Flashback Syndrome :o It seems we are all exiles from Energetica. Is it the same place as Utopia? I confess I've never read the book :oops: but I think the inhabitants of Energetica are blissfully unaware of how lucky they are to live in such a wonderful place and equally unaware of the hardships of Arthritica. Luckily, as DD has just proved, they might have the brawn but we have the brains :D
    Steven Wright
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Last night I thought I had got energy and then I woke up. Mig
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    mig wrote:
    Last night I thought I had got energy and then I woke up. Mig

Brilliant mig :lol::lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Energetica must produce drugs as well as someone must be injecting it or making me snort it as now and then I get a spark of it and boom I'm off like a Tasmanian devil, like a little boogie or fussing or playing with the furballs and then I come crashing down off this high and I'm exhausted or in pain and I get the 'I told you so' speech off the OH which annoys me!! I think a lot of us get infected and have stories to tell, it must be like catnip for humans!!

Energetica is a place all of us want to go but it's like one of those movie's like 'the hunger games' where there is a world everyone wants to go to and it's not real!!
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    We're having new flooring done next week, all on the ground floor. Rooms have to cleared of furniture (we have a friend coming to help Mr DD on Sunday with that) but wardrobes have to be emptied, drawers too. Many small things will have to be moved upstairs, some bigger things too which I can manage. I have applied for a Visa for Energetica but I haven't heard anything back. I don't think I will. :|

I hope you wish me well, my lovely friends; this is going to be a tough week at Daisy's Dwelling. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I have applied for a Visa for Energetica but I haven't heard anything back. I don't think I will. :|

I believe they only grant visas to those of us who live in Arthritica if we can prove ourselves adept at kick boxing, hang gliding and dry stone walling when a blue moon coincides with a total eclipse. Good luck, DD :cheers:

Meanwhile......

Energetica says : “Let's go out to our favourite restaurant with our very dear friends.”
    Arthritica says: “Can we get a take-away?”

Energetica says: “My hip's playing up and all I've done today is played a round of golf, mowed the lawn and tidied up the garage.”
    Arthritica says: “Woo hoo! I've hung out two lots of laundry and got it all put away, washed up twice and still have enough energy to cook something basic.”

Energetica fancies a meal that takes lots of preparation.
    Arthritica fancies a meal she can either prepare in short bursts of activity or just bung in the steamer.

Energetica thinks: “If we stay another couple of nights at our son's I could help at our grandson's cricket nets.”
    Arthritica thinks: “Two more nights! Sleeping on the sofa bed and washing in the downstairs' cloakroom! Besides, I haven't enough meds for two extra nights.”

Energetica struggles with the mere concept of occasional 'post-methotrexate' days of unaccustomed, unsolicited, unwarranted fatigue.
    Arthritica doesn't.

Energetica fancies an apple / biscuit / crisps so goes into the kitchen to fetch them.
    Arthritica fancies an apple / biscuit / crisps but not enough to waste precious energy on actually getting out of the chair to fetch some. (Arthritica is slimmer than Energetica.)

(Sign me up, Sharon. Any way I can help. Well, as long as it's not a very energetic way :wink: )
    Steven Wright
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    what a great thread, will have to give some thought........XX As long as it doesn't take much energy. Arthritica wants to sit and shout.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh I see, thank you Sticky for explaining why I won't hear back. I can't do any of those but I know I can 'dance' the Can't Can't albeit with walking aids - might that help my second application? :wink: DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Sorry, DD. I Can't-Can't say :wink:
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I saw Energetica on the destination board at Kings Cross on Saturday. The border control thought they were being clever by using an alternative name but I saw through their trickery when the platform number only appeared 3 minutes before the due departure time - and was at the opposite side of the station. The happy nationals set off at a run, I trudged behind and hoped I could get there before the train left. The finer details of making sure I got onto the right bit of the train for when it split halfway through the journey had to be a secondary consideration.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    :D:D:D

Brilliant, daffy. I did wonder at first if you were heading for Platform 9 3/4 . Not quite so but definitely capturing the essence of the parallel universes (with all the rules written in Energetica).
    Steven Wright
  • daffy2
    daffy2 Member Posts: 1,636
    Options
    I have to go past that outpost of Energetica on my way to get a cold bidet from the Ladies(a bargain at only 30p a pop, an increase of only 50% since this time last year), which particular delight I am now composing a letter about since 3 years of complaining to the staff at each of my visits has achieved zilch.
    To summarise: handsfree toilet flush, motion sensor activated, sited incorrectly, sitting on toilet seat activates flush....repeatedly if you are unlucky enough to need a more contemplative visit as I did on Saturday. Perhaps I can send them a bill for a private medical check-up to ensure I have not contracted an infection as a result? There is now a neat little sign on the wall beside the magic eye instructing one to 'press button firmly to flush'. I detect Homus energeticus subspecies british management at work.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Oh daffy, you got me :lol: There was I wondering why on earth you were seeking a bidet in King's Cross :roll:

I have threatened, on many occasions, to write the 'Strange Loos I have Visited' book. I dislike the auto-flushers even whey work as intended and not as douches.

As for 'Homus energeticus subspecies british management' - brilliant :cheers:
    Steven Wright
  • theresak
    theresak Member Posts: 1,998
    Options
    I was turned away at the gate to Energetica yesterday - apparently I was 'inappropriately dressed.' It seems wrist splints & velchro fastenings are not allowed - one has to be in Lycra, or, at the very least, a tracksuit.
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Options
    Great thread Sticky, brings tears to my eyes.
    Daffy I've also encountered a loo/bidet. It was at a motorway service station, I was quietly contemplating matters when all of a sudden Whoosh!! I. got such a fright I nearly wet myself, - not that it would have mattered given my
    location at the time!! Lol.
    Since being lumbered with my illness, I've come to the conclusion that spontaneity is all very well and can be great fun as long as it's properly planned. I always have one dose of steroids and an omeprazole in my handbag just in case of the unexpected.
    Wishing everyone a happy afternoon a la energetica.
    (Heading to the chemist to collect more meds, giant parcel today as four different kinds needed reordered)
    slomo
  • stickywicket
    Options
    slomo wrote:
    I've come to the conclusion that spontaneity is all very well and can be great fun as long as it's properly planned.

Oh slomo, that's a stonker. I love it.

(I understand the steroids but why the omep?)
    Steven Wright
  • slomo
    slomo Member Posts: 180
    Options
    Sticky, the omeprazole is my stomach protector tablet, one of them each morning first thing and then my steroids straight after breakfast.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Yes, I understand that as I do the omep myself but I didn't get why one should have an emergency one.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Yesterday I was surrounded by Energeticas and I stood out like a sore thumb. I gamely joined in for a while but then subsided like a deflating lilo. One Energetica was helping me clear the bedroom for the new carpet and two others were demolishing the conifers. I made teas and coffees and lunch for my helper so that was my contribution towards keeping them up and running. DD
  • stickywicket
    Options
    And I bet I know who was most lacking in energy at the end of it all :too-hot:
    Steven Wright